Home Neighbour reversed her jeep into front door

Kitty

Good evening,
My neighbour just reversed her jeep into the front door of her house which is semi-detached and adjacent to mine. (There is no front garden just a small grass verge and footpath - seems she put it in reverse by mistake and it shot back.)
I got an almighty shock with the bang and ran out to see what had happened. She was very shaken - but nobody was hurt, thankfully. However, the back of her jeep is quite damaged - back window shattered everywhere & some other damage, plus she chipped a good chunk off the cement surround of her door. No obvious damage to my property other than she smashed a large potted plant I had placed between the two doors - which are side by side.

My question is: is there a possibility of structural damage to my house that I should be worried about even though I cant see any? (neighbour is renting and not the owner).
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Kitty

Last edited:
If you are worried, get an engineer to have a look. If there is damage, then claim from her motor insurance, if there is not, lie to the loss of the engineers fee.

lie to the loss of the engineers fee? What does that mean?

Ravima while i have seen you giving questionable advice before, are you suggesting a fraudulent claim?

Talk to your neighbour.
Tell her you want to report a potential claim to her motor insurers in respect of potential structural damage to your property.

Her motor insurers will appoint a loss adjuster (or structural engineer) to inspect your property and if there is any damage they will look after it.

I see no need at this stage for you to appoint an engineer.

Please also note that you are covered for impact damage under your household policy and if there is damage you could make a claim under your policy and let your insurers make a recovery of their outlay against your neighbours motor insurers.

If you are worried, get an engineer to have a look. If there is damage, then claim from her motor insurance, if there is not, lie to the loss of the engineers fee.

Yeah good idea, make what's probably a nothing incident into a fraudulent claim to cover the €750 engineer's fees, risk having the claim thrown out and a conviction for fraud against you!!! Oh actually wait a minute, no it might be better to go with Ed54's advice and let the motor insurers take care of it instead!!

"lie to the loss"

= to me doesn't mean lie and claim the cost but means get an engineer, do the survey and take a hit on the cost of getting the report for peace of mind if there's nothing wrong.

+1

"lie to the loss" of sthg = bear the cost of it.

An expression sometimes used by one Senator Joe O'Toole. Any connection, Ravima? ;)

If this is true, can Ravima expect an apology from those folks who jumped to an incorrect conclusion?

:D

+1

"lie to the loss" of sthg = bear the cost of it.

An expression sometimes used by one Senator Joe O'Toole. Any connection, Ravima? ;)

Methinks that I'll be waiting for the apology.

I would like to have whatever 'questionable advice' I have posted pointed out to me as I have no hidden agenda. I am a poster on this board, who has posted questions in the past and received answers to them. I have also responded to others questions. I do not profess to be infallible and like everyone else, can make mistakes.

This BB is to assist. It is not a definitive view and if one requires further advice, you will see posters, including myself, advising those who have posted the question, to take professional advice.

This misunderstanding reminds me of a colleague who was highly insulted when his boss once remarked that he and his father were " as thick as thieves ", and, those who think " Suffer the little children " means that children suffer.

Ravima I thought you meant to lie as I didn't understand the expression but I don't think I should apologise for that. Why should I?

Some of us misunderstood you and some voiced this which is fairly reasonable I would have thought?

Ravima I thought you meant to lie as I didn't understand the expression but I don't think I should apologise for that. Why should I?

Some of us misunderstood you and some voiced this which is fairly reasonable I would have thought?

So because you didn't understand the expression "lie to the loss of" you feel you can stand over you accusation of suggesting fraud? I feel you should accept you didn't understand and apologise. I got the meaning from Ravima's post to get the enginerrs report and you will only lose the cost of this if all is right (no damage) and if there is damage the insurance pays all!

Last edited:
So because you didn't understand the expression "lie to the loss of" you feel you can stand over you accusation of suggesting fraud? I feel you should accept you didn't understand and apologise.

Woah everyone hang on. Bronte didn't accuse anyone of anything here. Her mention of not apologising was, I take it, an academic point.

And +1 to PaddyBloggit.

Very perceptive Ravima, oh well, it was worth a shot in the dark, maybe someday these people will get a taste of their own medicine but continually responding will only add fuel to the fire. People tend to be all bark and no bite on these boards especially when much of the content is all greek to them. Best not to beat a dead horse, just bite your tongue and let bygones be bygones. Just put your best foot forward and forget about rocking the boat and it will soon be water under the bridge.......good luck. ;)

Methinks that I'll be waiting for the apology.

I would like to have whatever 'questionable advice' I have posted pointed out to me as I have no hidden agenda. I am a poster on this board, who has posted questions in the past and received answers to them. I have also responded to others questions. I do not profess to be infallible and like everyone else, can make mistakes.

This BB is to assist. It is not a definitive view and if one requires further advice, you will see posters, including myself, advising those who have posted the question, to take professional advice.

People tend to be all bark and no bite on these boards especially when much of the content is all greek to them. Best not to beat a dead horse, just bite your tongue and let bygones be bygones. Just put your best foot forward and forget about rocking the boat and it will soon be water under the bridge.......

going forward :D

Most important is to assist Kitty.

Forget the personal insults.

Is Kitty now sorted?

Back