Key Post Neighbour building extension - things to look out for

Silvergirl

Just got a call off my neighbour at my old house. My house is now rented and hers is adjoining mine, semi-d's.

I have a kitchen extension (done before I bought) and she has a smaller one. My roof is a proper tiled pitched roof and hers currently has a flat roof. She is extending approx. 3 ft larger than mine and joining her new roof to my existing one, plus a couple of foot extra I guess. We are meeting tomorrow as she mentioned that her structural engineer noted a couple of cracks on the wall where my extension joins her house currently. She offered for me to take a look and some pictures or get my own engineer to check that my extension is sound and not sinking!

I'm hoping that this is not going to cost me money as I don't think that's really fair? I don't have any issue with her extension once it's done correctly and doesn't negatively impact my house structurally. Any advice on where I stand wrt to costs? What happens if they cause damage to my roof etc joining hers? Never had to face this kind of situation before so any help regarding pitfalls etc would be appreciated.

I don't think your neighbour's extension roof should be allowed to join onto your extension roof. Is this extension at the back of the house? Do you not have a boundary between your houses? Most of my neighbours, including ourselves have extensions built on the back of our houses but we have all kept the walls and roof seperate from our next door neighbour. The extensions are built just inside the boundary walls. You should ask her to show you the architect's drawings - as it seems to be a small extension she will probably not need planning permission so be careful that no corners are cut and that no damage is done to your property during her build. As regards the cracks, can you see them yourself? If they are visible then you should get an independent inspection. Don't accept what she is saying without proof. Check your house frequently during the build and when it is finished.

Thanks, we have a high hedge between the houses and both are fully enclosed back gardens, the only way I can see what's going on to that side of my house is via her back garden, accessed via her back door. She is allowing me to call in and see the cracks tomorrow to take pictures of them. She hasn't had to get planning permission. How would / could I stop her joining on to my roof and building up against the side of my house? Does the fact that we are semi's make a difference, ie. strengthen her case? Either way it sounds like this is going to cost me several €100, and potentially a big headache. I also don't want my tenants to be bothered by a dispute either. She told me she has engaged an architect so I'll ask to view the plans tomorrow while I'm there. I've never really had any dealings with her do date but would like to stay on good terms.

Thanks for the input.

Whatever about the merits of joining on to your roof, she has almost certainly been advised to point out the cracks to you before work commences. We were advised to do the same when we extended some years ago. It's to forestall you claiming afterwards that the cracks are new and caused by the work they are doing. It's up to you if you think they need attending to.

I would not have it joining your property, or have a gutter overhang the party wall/boundary.

I would not have it joining your property, or have a gutter overhang the party wall/boundary.

I agree. Years ago when my sister was living in a semi-d in a new estate, her attached neighbour wanted to build a sunroom using the dividing garden wall as the side wall of the sunroom. My sister (on the advice of an engineer whom she was friendly with) said no. There was no issue with the neighbour over it, but she felt she would be better off keeping her house as it was built in terms of boundaries, shared walls etc..

Update. Well it turns out my extension was built right up against the side of her house. She currently has a flat roof lower than mine, and my drains / gutters overhang hers slightly but feed into my drains. She showed me her drawings and she is going to raise her roof to a tiled roof matching mine but with flashing and a gully and guttering running along the valley between the two. She has assured me that she is going to go with a registered and insured builder. There was one small crack on my side and that had been filled, but as it wasn't by either of us it must be there at least 10 years so not worried about subsidence. Her flat roof and guttering is in really bad shape, running water all down the side of my extension so to be honest it looks like it'll be a vast improvement on what's there at the moment. Thanks for all the helpful advice, appreciate ye taking the time. I will get the works checked by my own engineer just to be sure it's ok before final completion.

Back