Negligent LL given me notice,I want LL to use my deposit as last months rent...

C

Csillag

My landlord neglected to have the gas convector / boiler / pipes checked although I repeatedly asked him to as I felt tired whenever I put the heating on and was worried there may be a leak. It turned out that he had not had it checked for over 18 months and I believe this is illegal.
He also ignored many small things that were wrong with the flat - filthy curtains hanging off a rail that was too heavy, completely wobbly brokendown hall floor hidden by a carpet, video with no control so unusable, terrible or no internet connection, kitchen equipment not working, yet it was advertised as a luxury flat with all mod cons.
When I wrote to complain as he had not reacted over the months and said I would be looking for an alternative as I am not getting what I am paying for/what was advertised,and would let him know my leaving date in due course he immediately wrote back simply giving me a months notice, thus forcing me to leave before I am ready.
He has a months deposit which I want him to use as the last months rent (the amount includes bills) as I do not trust him to return my deposit due to his track record. Yet he is hassling me to pay the last months rent and threatening to take occupancy prior to Dec, 2nd if I do not.
Do I have any rights ? Can I sue him for neglicence if he continues being difficult and is it within his rights to throw me out like this - if he tries what rights do I have ? Please help if you have ever had a similar experience or if there is a consumer advice centre in Budapest that can help. Thanks !!!

Back