Neghbours new porch, gutter extends to my property

Blinder

Neighbour is just finishing off a new porch.
Today was the first time I have seen it in daylight. The guttering went up sometime during the week, and the gutter is extending over the boundary wall ( the wall is about 4 inches wide), gutter extends a few inches into my garden.

I have a feeling I should do something about this, as I feel like they are taken advantage. It means that if a porch was to be built on my property it would have to be compromised because of their porch.

Planning on selling the house next year so should I say anything in case it causes a problem then? feel that they will just brush me off anyway, so if they did should I do anything else? Or is their anything else I can do?

It's easy enough to cut a little piece off a pvc gutter with an old saw. That's if the informal chat has no effect.

It's easy enough to cut a little piece off a pvc gutter with an old saw. That's if the informal chat has no effect.

The OP would possibly be liable for criminal damage.

Best to have a polite chat with neighbour 1st and if nothing comes of it,get a county council planning officer out to inspect the porch and its overhang.

get a county council planning officer out to inspect the porch and its overhang.

I am sure he will charge a small fortune for the privilige:)

I dont know if he would be liable for criminal damage afterall you are allowed to cut down any branches that intrude into your garden, wouldn't a plastic pipe be similiar

Planning enforcement won't charge for investigation of alleged breaches of planning laws.

Planning enforcement won't charge for investigation of alleged breaches of planning laws.

But they won't do anything either. Our neighbours built an extension hanging over into our garden. We went to the council several times, they wrote a letter to the owner, but that was all. We just have to live with it.

Back