Need to sign on in between jobs?

Scurnane

Hi,

I will have 4-5 weeks of no work in between leaving my current full time paye job and starting my next one. I am happy to take the time off and can luckily afford it. However do I need to sign on or make extra prsi payments?

You might be eligible for Job Seeker Benefits for those 4-5 weeks. At (potentially) 188 Euro (gross) per week, better in your pocket than not I'd say, given that you have paid you PRSI contributions.
No idea though of there are any exemptions, waiting times, etc., but might be worth investing that hour or two to talk to your local welfare office.

You will need a certain number of years payments to qualify for Benefit. Also you will miss, I think, the first week or so of any claim.

Reactions: jim
Even if you do not qualify for Job Seekers Benefit or Job Seekers allowance, signing on ensures that you have a PRSI credit for those weeks.

Total number of PRSI credits is used to determine how much pension you get, so its a good idea to do it, to protect future entitlements.

you will absolutely qualify for some jobseekers benefit or allowance but as Setanta said not for the 1st week or 2 that you are off and also it is totally dependant on whether or not you have prsi from (I think) 2 years previously, so 2014. But drop into your local welfare office and they will confirm to you. you will get 188 net not gross.

you will absolutely qualify for some jobseekers benefit or allowance but as Setanta said not for the 1st week or 2 that you are off and also it is totally dependant on whether or not you have prsi from (I think) 2 years previously, so 2014. But drop into your local welfare office and they will confirm to you. you will get 188 net not gross.

Hi Jim, is JSB not taxable so that would be the gross amount? And then it would be taxed at the end of the year?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it24.html

Taxed at the end of the year - but you'll discover that the Soc Wlf have linked in with the Revenue, so your tax credits on a return to work will be adjusted to reflect those earnings.

To qualify for jobseekers benefit you must also be out of work and seeking new work.

Back