NCT fee refund

telco

Hi there

I brought my car for NCT last Saturday , thankfully it passed - I booked the appointment in November 2022, when I asked at reception about getting a refund they gave me a number to call- on calling the head office yesterday I was told I am not entitled to a refund as I had not indicated when registering as a priority - I should have ticked that box ? I don't recall being asked that when registering - anyway there was no need for by car to be seen as a priority - is this their get out clause for not giving a refund - has anyone else been told this ? Thanks

My understanding is that if you accept one of whatever appointments are offered to you, despite it meaning that your car is without NCT cover after it's due date, then that's on you.

If however you email or call indicating that you haven't been offered a suitable appointment (instructions on the booking screen) then the onus on them to offer you an appointment within 28 days kicks in, and if they don't you're entitled to a free test.

It's / they're ridiculously inefficient

Do you meet all of the criteria for a free test?
5. We aim to ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual NCT centre is less than or equal to 15 days. You will be provided with a test, free of charge, where an appointment cannot be offered within a 28 day period, unless any of the following apply:
  • the test is overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting us;
  • an appointment was offered 7 days or more prior to the test due date;
  • you have made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates;
  • you have declined or rearranged two or more appointments;
  • you have failed to attend an appointment; or
  • you have previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the 28 day period.

My understanding is that if you accept one of whatever appointments are offered to you, despite it meaning that your car is without NCT cover after it's due date, then that's on you.

If however you email or call indicating that you haven't been offered a suitable appointment (instructions on the booking screen) then the onus on them to offer you an appointment within 28 days kicks in, and if they don't you're entitled to a free test.

It's / they're ridiculously inefficient
Thanks Zobeda- noted for next NCT due in 18 months !

The onus is on them to offer an appointment within 28 days. If you meet the criteria you should insist on getting your refund.

I finally got a refund cheque from them two weeks ago for a delayed test. I requested the test on 4 Dec and eventually had the test done on 5 Mar. It took a few months of arguing and insisting that I met the criteria in their Customer Charter before they agreed to pay the refund. Don't let them fob you off with nonsense.

Back