Navan or Arklow for €317.5k for FTBs

Oh congrats on the pregnancy. I'm offically on baby popping strike for the next 2 years anyway!! Lol. My sister was in Solar one night and had a ball!!. I love those old places, always hilarious. Will pm you and let you now how the big move goes!!

If your problem is dropping the kids off, then get your husband to do it if he can change his hours.

Im sure that if your husband is getting home before you with the kids he cooks them their dinner and probably yours also, so you get your dinner handed to you.

Regards to your sis minding the kids I had the same arrangment with mine and they moved away, so we were back to stage one again, maybe your husband is looking at the bigger picture.

As regards my sis minding the kids that is a joint worry tbh and we have looked at the bigger picture that 's another reason he wants to go to Arklow coz ds has a wonderful childminder afterschool and dd loves her creche so we won't have to upset them, the only change for them is a brand new house and their own rooms but two hours a day in the car. I get my dinner handed to me when I get home late coz I prepare it the night before so all he has to do is stick it in the oven!. He cannot change his hours coz the other option he has is 9-5.30 and he would never make the creche for 6pm so he has to stick to the 8-4.30. I drop & he collects at the moment. It works really well though coz the kids love the face that he collects them, ds always looks forward to it and the thoughts of taking that away from him is hard. So we are still undecided but the kids come first, we go from making a descision to changing at the moment. I just want us to be happy and to buy a house we can make a few bob on coz we will want to upgrade in the next 3-5 years, as this is our first home it's a start. We have been trying for so long to get a house I just want it sorted. We both work hard so we deserve to have something to show for it, especially our own home.

Last edited:
Just to let you all know that we are going to Arklow....don't ask!!. It is on the agreement that we are out of there by the end of 2009. We have told EA in Navan we are not proceeding and hubbie drove to Arklow on Sat afternoon to pay deposit while I sat at home upset but resigned to the fact that we are doing it. I haven't even told my family yet and don't know how I am going to tell them. I am going to be 80 miles away from them now and I feel like getting him to ring them and tell them!!.
The arguments would have went on and on and he would never have seen the kids during the week so Arklow it is and the bloody house is more expensive in the end too!! Ah well...thanks for all the insight and post now, the valuation on the house in Arklow is taking place this afternoon!

If the decision is made, for your happiness, you have to be positive about it. Personally I think Arklow is a great town, but I don't understand why you won't be sending your children to Arklow schools. It doesn't make sense to make your children commuters.

..even the locals wouldnt send their children to the town schools cause they are kips.

This is untrue, both St Jospehs and the Gaelscoil are excellent schools, there are also two great secondary schools in the area.

Arklow has beaches, leisure centre, new shopping centre, good community vibe, easy access to Wicklow mountains. It also has a wealth of activities for children, and activities/clubs for adults to join to make new friends.

Well I work in the city centre and hubbie works in sandyford so we have to go that way regardless so no point in changing schools as they are very happy and our son has an excellent childminder and our daughters creche us fantastic. They would have a longer day away from us if we left them in Arklow coz of our jobs. I am going to look into part time or something closwe to home anyway.

obviously someone defending their own town which is perfectly reasonable..poor headachecity..may have to change name as Headachecountry if she kept torn between this twist btw Arklow and Navan...think she already stressed out whenever Arklow/Navan come into her ears

Howdy Polo9n, I just decided that living in Arklow seemed a better proposition to contant arguing so I'll just settle for it for a while but there is no way I am taking the kids out of where they are coz we will be back up in Bray within 4 years so no point in changing their routines. My family are going to go mental when I tell them, haven't the guts to tell them, going to be 80 miles away from them and the thoughts of it and I'm going to be billy no mates down there!. That's life we all have to make sacrifices. Hopefully this will be beneficial in the long run.
Thinking of changing my name to "avoidingdivorcecourts"...LOL!!!

wat a tiwst!this is almost like Eastenders if not Big Brother!
well..yes..life is all about sacrifice..theres no definit right or wrong in everything....maybe this time you can play compromise to ur hubby although deep down its not..haaa..well good luck in Arklow anyway..!
:)

Yeah I know and he hates soap opera's and reality TV!!!. I'll be okay down there but I'm going to make sure that we are back up in Bray within 4 years. Bonus is that the house really is gorgeus and walk in condition and we are getting all appliances included in the sale so it's a saving. Lovely garden so we will be fine!!. Sure you never know I could end up with some lovely neighbours.

i can put money on that...wicklow people are definitly grand...and a little on poshy side! yep u got brittas bay near you and also mountains....complete opposite of Nnnnayyyvan

i used to work in Bray and love the town,people and scenary!

Yeah I'll be looking for ten pence for a bag of "tayho"...LOL!!!. Househunter thanks for the good wishes, me too hope we will be happy down there. We are in a different estate a good bit away from that yukky sil and we are not telling anyone we are moving and where we are going to, after their carryon they can p*ss off for good and happily so for me. It's a term of living there, atoutlaws are not allowed near us and if I get a sniff of them well enuf said!.
Ah yeah there is a good bit to do there and apparantly Next and Oasis are going to be in the new shopping centre so I'll be grand!!..haha. A girl needs her kicks you know!

Well, best of luck Headachecity. Methinks the hubby shouldn't have strung you along and then backed-out at the last minute.... thats probably a whole other story for the Letting Off Steam thread !!

Thanks Redstar, think I'll be heading over there allright coz I feel like I've been too lenient here but what can I do?. It's not as if I can sit there and sulk and refuse to go and he knows how much I want a house so hopefully it will work out in the end. Yes he made a show of me though coz I looked at lots of houses in Navan and I battled the EA for the house we were going to buy and then I backed out. I had schools and everything sorted so yes it really does still upset me but as I said no point in sulking over it, just being positive.

I can't believe it... Arklow... well i hope you will have a good time down there. You know my thoughts already! Hubby needs a good kick up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language to be honest! Best of luck... if you need anything or more info on Arklow e-mail me on the PM. I'll be thinking of you :(

I can't believe it... Arklow... well i hope you will have a good time down there. You know my thoughts already! Hubby needs a good kick up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language to be honest! Best of luck... if you need anything or more info on Arklow e-mail me on the PM. I'll be thinking of you :(
I don't want to sound like I'm taking the mans side on this, but I don't think your husband needs the kicking, I think both of you do. Sorry.

But you say you wouldn't mind to expect your husband to get up 5 days a week at 5.30am and get home at 8pm. Do you expect your relationship to last with him having to negotiate those hours? Would you both not have sat down before all this and thought about it before putting your kids through this?
Is there any possibility your husband could have changed jobs? You say your kids come first, but believe me, them not seeing their dad until weekends is not putting them first.
I'm not picking at you but I don't think you should really commit to buying a house in Arklow if you are not 100% happy with it. I would re-think the whole situation and there is no rush to buy a house right now. The market has slowed down so you will find house prices not rising as fast as they used to.
Get your husband to re-think his job and whether its REALLY worth spending all that time away from his kids if you were to move to Navan to make you happy. My wife moved jobs so she could have more time with the kids in the morning and I got a job that had less hours. You will regret it in years to come when the younger days are gone and you wished you spent more time with them. Think about how old they are now and how fast that time has gone by and you wasting more of it away doing all this travelling. Even your current situation in Arklow with your travelling to work, I wouldn't wish on anyone. I wish you the best....

We have been on the house hunt for about a year now and sat it out waiting on prices to level out which some of them have but we just couldn't do this renting anymore, it's not a proper home. My kids are my priority and the thoughts of dragging them from Arklow to Bray twice a day is just killing me but I was left with no choice. I think Navan would have worked. He told me he was happy to move there and would manage with the commute and then get something closer and then descides he doesn't want to leave his job or commute...but I have to!. I will get another job closer to Bray/Arklow as I have a very versatile job. Honestly, I do not want to live there. I drop my son to school in the mornings then drop my daughter to the creche and head into work, my husband collects them in the evenings and we do spend alot of time with them at the moment which is great but we are going to loose this with moving to Arklow but we need a home.

Poor girl, heavy commute for you on a daily basis. All I can say is your husband has done well out of this, there was no mention of your family not wanting him in Navan. The N11 is a better route allright but in miles there is not a big difference from Dublin etc.
Nobody seems to recognize the fact that by the time she gets "home" to Arklow the children will be in bed and from reading her posts I would say she will find this upsetting.
Good luck to you, hope it all works out. On the flipside of wanting out of there in the next 4 years, I hope the housing market works in your favour as I presume as first time buyers your mortgage repayments will not be low by any standards!.

Back