Named driver versus 'open drive' where wife has penalty points?

ck_303

Hi there.

My wife has just been on the receiving end of six very harsh penalty points.

She is a named driver on my insurance policy.

Our insurance is up for renewal very shortly and I suspect that her penalty points will result in a serious uplift in premium.

Is it legitimate to remove her as a named driver when renewing and then take out an 'open drive' policy which allows anyone with an Irish driver's licence to drive my car?

She only drives the car a couple of times a week for short journeys.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hopefully not. Most insurers specify over 25, EU licence holder and claim, motoring conviction and points free drivers only.

How did she accumulate 6 penalty points if she only drives the car for short journeys a couple of times a week????

It's very easy accumulate points sometimes, on a journey last week I met 5 speed vans, all on the outskirts of small towns and all between the 50 & 60 limits. Yes I know we should all drop down speed immediately but I got caught a few years ago doing 55 in one of these zones, I was within sight of the 60 limit and it was not what I would call a built up area, very much the outskirts. The irony is I would never pass 100 on open road, I am not a fast driver at all, yes I know awful things happen at low speeds too but they really do seem to be positioned to pick the low hanging fruit.

Some places have very strange limits, there is a big new stretch of road outside Newcastlewest with a limit of I think 60 for a long distance, I'm there driving along under the limit with buses, lorries and every car overtaking me!

My insurer said they ignore up to 3 points so the 6 might cause you a problem but insurers differ so shop around.

Thanks for all the help. Points haven't arrived yet but looks like premium loading will be a couple of hundred quid rather than being completely prohibitive.

As folks kindly pointed out, Open Drive not feasible.

Back