Motor named driver insurance

L

lapple

Hi im trying to get insured on my dads car insurance policy as a named driver, ive just got a couple of quotes online today. Does anybody know if a named driver is also covered by fully comprehensive or is it just third party for the named driver because it does not clearly state this on the online quotes ?

If the quote is comprehensive cover, you can assume in most cases unless it states otherwise that the named driver is also comprehensively covered. Why dont you just ring your dads insurance company. Or are you just trying to persuade him to do it!

it depends on insurer. Some may give comprehensive irrespective of licence, but others may restrict cover to TPFT if you hold a Provisional licence. Also the policy excess, that is the amount of each Own Damage claim you pay yourself can vary depending on age/licence.

I got my provisional license a month ago and this will be my first time getting insured . The thing is i dont think the policy holder would be too happy with me being insured only under a third party insurance while driving his car. I'll have to do alot more shopping and ringing around to see what the story is with each of the insurance companies and their policies concerning provisional and full license holders under a named driver insurance. it is a little frustrating that they dont explain this kind of thing in more detail or state it exactly how it is.
Thanks for the info

No insurer will provide comprehensive cover for a named driver on a learner's permit - some won't even quote for TPF&T.

No insurer will provide comprehensive cover for a named driver on a learner's permit - some won't even quote for TPF&T.
TreeTiger junior, with learner's permit, is comprehensively insured on my AXA Familyfirst policy.

I got my provisional license a month ago and this will be my first time getting insured . The thing is i dont think the policy holder would be too happy with me being insured only under a third party insurance while driving his car.

Have you tried getting him to ring his insurance company. Maybe he doesnt/want need to move insurers.

err... incorrect.

Totally.

Quite a large number of companies offer full cover for all drivers.

Back