Motor insurance hike due to moving house

Bridget Minogue

Hi,
I informed my car insurance provider that I was moving house next month. I was informed that I would have to pay 96 euros ( 30 euro being an administration fee). There are 9 months remaining on my policy with this company.
I wasn't expecting such a hike. I was told that it was due to the change in jurisdiction. But surely moving from a town in County Tipperary to a rural area in County Limerick would not lead to an increase in risk?
Your sound advice would be appreciated.

Article is a few years old but worth reading...
http://www.independent.ie/business/...oving-for-cheaper-car-insurance-26571614.html

Likely explanation:
Either there are more break-ins in the area, or people living in the area tend to clock up more accidents (possibly because they are driving more, commuting, etc)

Different insurers will have different concepts of what your 'area' is, in the past they used to be rather broad 'Limerick County', but a lot will have moved to 'parish' level, or lower.
So at your next renewal, you might be able to bring your premium back down by finding an insurer who has your address in a more favourable grouping.

Last edited:
If your insurer has an online calculator, submit requests for new quotes for each of the addresses with all other information being the same. You should see a corresponding difference in the quotes.

Back