Mortgage Interest Supplement and part-time work

I will check and get back to you Steiner
For info, no new claims for MIS can be made after Jan 1st 2014 as the scheme is being phased out.

Edit: Update

Had a look at the means assessment for SWA and travel allowance is mentioned as a deduction when assessing income from employment.

Net earnings from employment are calculated as gross pay less PRSI and reasonable travel expenses.

Last edited:
Out of interest is the MIS being replaced by some other scheme? What will happen to new applicants who are in receipt of welfare payments and have trouble meeting their mortgage commitments?

No, the MIS is not being replaced by another scheme.

Anyone who has trouble meeting mortgage commitments should consult with their bank/building society.

I will check and get back to you Steiner
For info, no new claims for MIS can be made after Jan 1st 2014 as the scheme is being phased out.

Edit: Update

Had a look at the means assessment for SWA and travel allowance is mentioned as a deduction when assessing income from employment.

Net earnings from employment are calculated as gross pay less PRSI and reasonable travel expenses.

Thanks Gipimann, I only noticed your reply today.

Two DSP officers separately gave me different info on this issue, one was completely wrong in fact, but yes it is sorted as the "ayes" have it.

Back