Mortgage interest relief

Jenniferg

I need some help. My husband and myself bought a house in 2006. We got married in 2013 but we never claimed for trs as we didnt know about it for married couple. I sent a claim through last week. Can anyone tell me if we get a refund as i claimed for last four years..?? Thanks in advance

you do not need to be married to claim TRS on mortgage payments, you would have been entitled to it from 2006.

You would have been entitled to it since 2006 however you may be entitled to a larger band after marriage. Which I think is your point. I'm not sure if your new spouse will qualify as you originally purchased the property as a "single" person. I'm not sure how this interaction goes through on the revenue system although I would imagine it would only be fair. However if he does qualify you will gain a larger band as can be seen in the guidance. I believe it will probably be in the "Non first time buyer" and "Married" category based on the date of purchase. Have a look at the guidance on this page https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profe...ains-tax-corporation-tax/part-08/08-03-08.pdf

That guidance also gives a phone number for the TRS section in the CG's office.

You are entitled to TRS from 2006 to the proposed end date of 2020 and you will get a refund of TRS (if you completed the part of the online form for "prior years' claim" giving bank details for the refund to be paid into) - but Revenue only refund 4 years - so you and your husband will only get a refund for 2014-2017 inc.
Give them a ring (1890)463626

Back