mortagage deeds

L

lilah

Hi hope someone can offer me some advice. I am thinking of moving in with my partner in whom has a mortgage on the house although currently he is paying interest only but is going to change it to capital and interest. I removed my name from the mortgage a few years ago now as we split and i thought it only fair. He paid me a few thousand and i began renting for myself and our 2 sons. However we have been back together some time now and we both feel ready to live together again and are looking to marry. However i am not sure if i will be entitled to any share in the house unless my name is on the mortgage and am enquiring to see if anyone knows how I would stand in terms of the future and the house as I don't want to spend money on usual bills and making improvements so on and so forth because if for any reason we split myself and children might be out on a limb. Can anyone offer any advice thanks

I know that if you do marry, you automatically acquire certain rights in the family home, regardless of which name it's in. But I'm afraid I don't know anything about the legal position if you're not married. I'd suggest you contact a solicitor with experience of family law issues. Or perhaps there might be one or two such solicitors reading this.

Back