More questions about central heating

huskerdu

Hi all,
I have an oil fired central heating system - old , but very high quality, according
to the guy who serviced it last year. When we bought the house last year,
it had not been serviced in years.

The rads upstairs heat up slowly and only go to luke warm. THey are warmer
at the top than the bottom, so aren't airlocked. One of the rads
upstairs, which is closest to the boiler downstairs, heats up well, but when
it is on, the rads upstairs dont heat at all.

In general, the closer to the boiler, the better the rad. I ahve tried some
amateur rad balancing to no avail.

I think I possibly need a new pump to improve the system.

Any other advice, on what I should do.

I think you may need to balance the system. Here's further info [broken link removed]

Your radiators could be wrongly installed as well: Is one radiator feeding the other i.e. is the outlet of the one radiator going to the next radiator where it " feeds " the radiator?
A properly installed heating system should have a common flow and a common return pipe/manifold where all radiators INDIVIDUALLY are taking their heat from and releasing their return water to.

Heinbloed, have you ever come across such a system? I have little respect for contractors in this country, but you'd be hard pressed to find a tradesman who would take such shortcuts - I HOPE!!!

huskerdu: So are you saying that if you try to bleed these lukewarm rads they bleed water? If so then try adjusting the water flow through the rads by . . 1. determine which is the water in pipe (hold the two pipes and the hotter one should be the in-pipe) 2. open the in-pipe valve fully 3. close the out-pipe fully and then open it by just about a half a turn . . that's what works for me.

I did indeed, extopia, the bathroom radiator was connected straight to the hot water tank in the hot press. So when using the hot water tank, heated by the boiler, it was necessarry to turn on the radiator in the bathroom. Otherwise the boiler wouldn't heat up the tank. No big problem when the heat of the radiator was needed simultaniously....
It gave me headaches when installing an electric shower and wondering why the (still remaining) hot press tank went hot when turning on only the radiator in the bath room.And the radiator stayed cold when turning off the tank's heat suply. And then the radiator went luke warm when the tank was heated with the immersion.....One stops never learning,even when that is by the mistakes of others. But maybe it was intended this way .....

Back