Moore McDowell critical of flat-rate pension tax relief suggestions

LDFerguson

Press Release - Monday 23rd November 2009

Economist Moore McDowell has criticised the proposal to introduce a single rate of tax relief for pensions and radically reduce the tax-free lump sum which is the only real encouragement to pension saving in the current system.
The criticism is contained in a paper on the taxation of pension contributions commissioned from McDowell by Irish Life – the country’s largest pensions company.
There are increasing signs that the Government is moving to the introduction of a single rate of tax relief of 30% on pension contributions and to further limit the tax-free lump sum which is currently available on retirement.

McDowell’s arguments include:
  • Contrary to common belief, the current tax reliefs encourage middle income earners to save for their pension much more than higher income earners
  • Proposed reforms will run counter to EU policy on tax relief for pensions
  • Critics of current system using a flawed argument
  • Changes will discourage saving for pensions
Moore McDowell was commissioned to study the proposed pension reforms in the context of the growing debate in Ireland about tax relief on pensions. Critics of the current scheme have argued that because tax relief is applied at the marginal rate of tax, higher income earners get greater relief than middle / low income earners. Critics have also suggested that the current scheme represents a State subsidy to the well-off.
McDowell defends the current system and argues that criticisms of it stem from a fundamental misunderstanding of the way in which the tax treatment of pensions works in practice; “A myth has grown which suggests that tax reliefs on pensions are net benefits to the taxpayer. They conveniently ignore the fact that pension funds are taxed at the point of drawdown not at the point of contribution but the net effect for the exchequer and for the tax payer are broadly neutral under the current system. However under the reforms proposed, middle income earners will be disadvantaged by paying the marginal rate of tax on drawdown but enjoying less relief at the point of contribution.”
McDowell points out that contrary to popular belief, the main beneficiaries in most cases [ie: where the use of pensions is not simply a tax avoidance device by the very wealthy] from the present structure are not the very rich but those with middle incomes [€45,000 - €75,000].
The proposed change to a flat 30% rate of relief would in effect mean charging 11% income tax on contributions in the case of contributors paying the higher rate of tax [who will then be taxed at the higher rate when taking their pension out] while reducing the tax bill of those on the lower rate by 150% of their contributions. McDowell argues that such a change will mean that anyone earning over €35,000 will face a reduced incentive to make pension contributions;
McDowell also warns that the proposed move to a single rate of tax relief on pension contributions [of 30%] will ensure Ireland’s pension is less attractive than that which applies in most of the EU15 countries and which has been explicitly endorsed by the EU Commission as the correct approach to taxing pensions.
McDowell warns that the move to a single rate of tax relief on pensions [30%] will result in a tax structure which discourages saving for pensions and which will ultimately work AGAINST the stated policy goals of the State to increase the level of provision people make for themselves.
Finally McDowell cautioned the Government against using the present budget crisis to introduce a “reform” that is simply a device to improve the Exchequer’s cash flow position rather than to address the problem of inadequate pension provision – and in fact exacerbates it.
Welcoming the report, Gerry Hassett Chief Executive of Irish Life commented “Clearly the Government is facing extremely difficult decisions in the coming budget but pensions are a long-term issue which has very significant consequences for our society. There’s a real risk here that the Government will take short-term action which will greatly damage the country in the long-run”
Hassett cautioned in particular against introducing a partial reform whereby the rate of relief for higher rate tax-payer is reduced but improved reliefs for standard rate players is deferred.

Agree almost entirely with the comments in the paper. What about this quote in particular?
McDowell said:
A myth has grown which suggests that tax reliefs on pensions are net benefits to the taxpayer. They conveniently ignore the fact that pension funds are taxed at the point of drawdown not at the point of contribution but the net effect for the exchequer and for the tax payer are broadly neutral under the current system.
The myth didn't just "grow". It was nurtured by the whole system, life industry, media and government alike. How long would a broker stay in business who said to his prospects "don't mind that ol' tax relief bunkum, it's all broadly neutral". The marketing of pensions has almost exclusively focussed on the "very generous" tax breaks. I do hope this paper does not lead to misselling complaints.:eek:

I don't understand this.

Let's say I have a pension fund at 65 of €1.7 M. I take out €425,000 tax-free, leaving a fund of €1.275M. I buy an annuity of €50,000 per year, including spouse's pension.

According to Karl Jeacle's wonderful tax calculator a couple aged 65 earning €50,000 a year will pay tax of €5,826 on it. That's an effective tax rate of about 11.6% on the pension. Bearing in mind that the pension is only 75% of the fund, the total effective tax rate is 75% of 11.6% or under 8.75%.

So I got high rate tax relief on contributions on the way in and am paying an effective rate of tax of 8.75% on the way out.

Surely the idea of paying high-rate tax on pensions will only apply to a very small number of people with very well funded pensions? (Or am I hanging around with the wrong class of client? :D)

I think that someone who pays tax at 20% should only get tax relief at 20% for pension contributions. They should get a higher paid job if they want higher tax relief on pensions. As a higher rate taxpayer, I will not be happy, if in 2010, I will only get relief at a lower rate than 41%.

Ok, Fergie, you're right. The neutrality breaks down for two reasons:

1) Tax free lump sum

2) Lower average tax rate on pension than tax relief on contribution

For low earners and real high earners it is broadly neutral, but for the large middle section it is positive. I think the paper rather reveals its bias when it makes such a generalised statement that the current tax treatment of pensions is broadly neutral.

I wonder if the Govt had commissioned Moore to write the paper, would have come up with the same conclusion, or is he just a gun for hire?

Irish Life commission a report which they deliver as a 'Press release' this afternoon but which has already appeared in this mornings Irish Times? Had good potential but a bit of a fluff somewhere along the line don't you think?

I wonder if the Govt had commissioned Moore to write the paper, would have come up with the same conclusion, or is he just a gun for hire?

I would hope that an academic who holds views contrary to Irish Life's agenda would have just declined the invitation and they would move on until they found one with views broadly in line with their own. Or am I being naive?

I would hope that an academic who holds views contrary to Irish Life's agenda would have just declined the invitation and they would move on until they found one with views broadly in line with their own. Or am I being naive?
I was thinking about an allegation made on one of the public sector pension threads when I wrote this. Someone mentioned about a friend working for one of the big consultancies who rewrote their report findings at the behest of the client, as their initial report didn't give the answer the client wanted.

A lot of people will benefit from 41% tax relief on conts and will pay zero tax on pension as their combined income is below 40k.

I fell that all tax relief on pension conts should be abolished.

People should be obliged, not just encouraged, to make pension conts. Everybody.

As I have observed in other threads, our pensions system is one of deferred taxation. That is, tax due on this year's economic activity is deferred to a later year, so as to encourage pension savings.

From a purely macro economic point of view this is totally against the requirements of our current situation.

1. We cannot afford to defer taxation which belongs to current activity.

2. We should not be encouraging savings in a depression.

Individuals make these calls instinctively - if they can't afford day to day living the first thing to give (hopefully temporariliy) is savings for the future. The national finances are in dire straits and so there is an argument that savings for pensions and foregoing tax revenues to encourage same is a luxury we cannot currently afford.

If you touch the tax relief then you introduce a major deterrant in pension provision.

Later, it will be our children who will bear the burden as our population ages.

Protocol - In a way, people already are making obligatory pension contributions, through PRSI, which funds the State Contributory Pension.

So are you suggesting that the State Pension be increased, with a corresponding increase in PRSI rates?

That's one option. If we feel, as a society, that pension incomes are inadequate, then we could increase PRSI conts and introduce maybe a CSP linked to former wages, as all other EU countries have.

However, I prefer leaving the PRSI / CSP pension more or less as it is, and obliging everybody to save into a supplemental work-based pension.
  • Workers contributes 5%, maybe increasing to 10% over time, or else with an option to save more.
  • Employer contributes 5%.
  • Govt contributes 5%, maybe increasing to match the increased employee contribution.
  • It looks a bit like the SSIA scheme.
  • Tax relief on conts scrapped, replaced with the State contribution.
  • Maybe limited tax relief on above-mandatory contributions?

If you touch the tax relief then you introduce a major deterrant in pension provision.

Later, it will be our children who will bear the burden as our population ages.
Strange how this argument wasn't a major factor when we had to raid our National Pension Reserve Fund to pay for the excesses of our bankers and builders?

You're right it wasn't a factor. Don't they seem to just love sticking another finger into the collapsing dam?

One can imagine the idea being that an ever increasing number of persons who are close to poverty simply won't need to provide for the future.

However, I prefer leaving the PRSI / CSP pension more or less as it is, and obliging everybody to save into a supplemental work-based pension.
  • Workers contributes 5%, maybe increasing to 10% over time, or else with an option to save more.
  • Employer contributes 5%.
  • Govt contributes 5%, maybe increasing to match the increased employee contribution.
  • It looks a bit like the SSIA scheme.
  • Tax relief on conts scrapped, replaced with the State contribution.
  • Maybe limited tax relief on above-mandatory contributions?
It's an interesting idea, but I could see huge resistance to it, particularly from the lower-paid and their unions. Tell someone who's barely scraping by now that their wages are going to be docked by 5%, even if it is for their benefit in later years.

In the bigger picture, does any Government have the right to force people to save towards their retirement? The State Pension is designed to provide a very basic income to those who retire. It's enough to live a very frugal, basic existence. If you want to have more money in retirement, surely that's up to you? That said, I do favour the soft-mandatory approach, where people are automatically enrolled in a pension scheme but have the option to opt out.

You're right it wasn't a factor. Don't they seem to just love sticking another finger into the collapsing dam?

One can imagine the idea being that an ever increasing number of persons who are close to poverty simply won't need to provide for the future.
Do you think that perhaps some of the resistance to this idea might be pensions industry concern about losing all that lovely commission?

There really isn't too much lovely commission being paid. One way to boost pension coverage would be to increase the commission paid. Take a Standard PRSA for example - it is only 5% so probably not worth going out on a wet night for. ;)

If you take away or reduce tax relief then what would be the justification for anyone to take out a pension plan? They are going to be taxed on the proceeds anyway aren't they?

Constant tinkering with pension regimes screws up the ability of people to plan ahead.

Back