money transfer when selling car

What value?

Up to about 5K I'd say Cash if you are comfortable checking it. Maybe Revolut then over that amount?

Or PayPal.
Is PayPal safe to use for something like this these days? In the past there were all sorts of issues with fraudulent chargebacks and it being difficult for the seller to win the argument with PayPal. If somebody offered to pay for a car using PayPal I would automatically assume it is a scam and would not proceed.

Having said that I don’t have a good answer either. Last car I sold we both had AIB current accounts, so I could see within a few seconds they had lodged the money and I could hand over the keys. Same applies for Revolut I’m sure.

Last edited:
It's old fashioned but a bank draft would be perfect. Buyer hands over the bank draft, seller hands over keys.

It's old fashioned but a bank draft would be perfect. Buyer hands over the bank draft, seller hands over keys.
There's probably more fraud than genuine bank drafts these days. Personally I wouldn't accept a bank draft from someone I don't know.
To get a bank draft requires walking into a bank branch. Instead, while youre there, do a bank transfer, max 1 working day to settle.

So you would transfer money to someone's account and then hope that they hand over the keys in a day or two?

So you would transfer money to someone's account and then hope that they hand over the keys in a day or two?
No. My preferred option is cash.
Failing that an instant bank transfer.
I wouldn't touch a bank draft. And I would only ever buy a car privately where I meet the seller at their own home.

Do you have a suggestion / recommendation for the OP?

Back