Money mistakenly lodged in my AIB account.

The customer may have entered a wrong digit in error but it is very unlikely that they got the name wrong as well, thats were the banks should cross check and make sure that both correspond

I assume the point is, don't bank systems perform basic error-checks? Presumably it's not possible where different banks are concerned, e.g. if I perform a transfer from AIB to Halifax should AIB really be able to confirm the Account Name matches whoever I specified? If it was one AIB account to another then sure, that would make sense, but between 2 different banks probably not.

Happened to me with the BOI. I didn't even realize it had happend untill they phoned me, told me about it and asked to take the money back. I didn't have to go in or sign anything, just a verbal okay sorted it.

There were 3 different payments made to the total value of around 30k. I havnt contact the bank yet but only becuase I havnt had a chance to yet.

Why not write to bank and get the thing sorted out?

If it were me I would drop them a two/three line letter stating the money was in my account in error, they have my permission to take it out and I would leave them to get on with it. Would take less than five minutes to write, print and pop it in an envelope.

I recently had to write my boss a cheque as he paid me more wages than he should have. Wasn't a huge amount but it wasn't mine so I gave it straight back..along with a quick lesson on online business banking :rolleyes:

Back