31 Years remaining

Mortgage provider:
KBC

Type of mortgage: Tracker, interest only, fixed rate
1 Year fixed matures next Feb

Interest rate
2.9%

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
1K House improvement loan will be fully paid next month. 14k Interest free loan from family member (help for house deposit) can be paid back anytime but want to get it paid ASAP without putting ourselves under pressure

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?
Yes direct debit each month

Savings and investments:
No savings had about 45k but all went on new house last year (deposit and home improvement). Just started saving €600 euro a month between us but that will go to family member when reaches 12K

Do you have a pension scheme?
Yes about 50k in pot. I pay 4% and employer pay 6%
Wife is starting pension this month 5% and 5% employer

Do you own any investment or other property?
No

Ages of children:
1 Year old and plan one more in next in the next 18 months then snip snip.

Life insurance:
Mortgage protection and decent one with work 5X salary if I die and 66% of salary if go out on long term illness with continued pension

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Although we are pulling in net 5.5k per month if feels like we are struggling week to week. We saved hard for 3-4 years to buy new house last year and kinda lowered of standard of living for this time. We taught it would get a lot easier once we had the house but we seem to have less money ( House we moved into was builder finish so we are still spending money new piece of furniture each month etc). We should have House finished by next xmas. Also it didn't help that we had new born week after we moved into House and wife didn't get maternity leave. At the moment out major outgoing are mortgage 1,050. Childcare €300. House Improvement Loan €300, Savings to pay back family member €600. our bills are fairly cheap as we live in A energy home. about €200 including tv/mobile/internet/bins/esb/gas We spent a lot on food we never buy any processed food and always eat fresh as we are both big into fitness and want to bring out little girl up like this by knowing to eat the right stuff. (still lidl an aldi mostly) Wife does spend bit on baby clothes more next/mothercare over penneys/dunnes. (Its not for debate this or the cutback on food. I have a lot of benefits from work. Free travel, full VHI for family, free breakfast).

This year we had 6 weddings and will be 2 foreign holidays so that eat into lot of cash. (1 holidays just cost us flights as we stayed with by sister in Spain) We plan on doing attic conversion next year when 2nd baby arrives as we will have to hire live in nanny cheaper than crèche. Before we started saving for house we used go out 2/3 nights and eat out 1/2 nights. used to go on weekends breaks etc or always go foreign when I saw a cheap flight. I also drove a nice car.

Not looking to get back to this standard of living but looking for some advice to get us back to maybe going out 1 night per week. We currently only go out maybe 1 night a month unless we are going to a wedding or something like that. We also plan on overpaying over mortgage by 50% once all debt is paid back etc.

start with your taxes and make sure firstly you have claimed for absolutely everything and make sure your tax credits are being used in the most efficient manner.

Secondly, think down the line when your wife is off on maternity leave and what is the financial impact of that (does her employer pay it?). Do you need to save for it?

Welcome to the reality of home ownership and parenthood!

If it's any comfort, you're going through the most expensive things in your life, both at the same time. We bought a house in need of renovation 5 years ago, and had 2 kids since, and there were months where it was tough.

The only advice I can give you us to sit down together, make a proper budget, and stick to it. If something unplanned comes up, you'll need to sacrifice something else in the budget. If you go to a wedding it needs to come out of your social budget, etc.

Children are expensive, but be careful with the trips to MotherCare - it's easy to spend over 100 Euro every few weeks without realising it. Budget for clothes, and again stick to it.

We've come out the other side intact. Very similar net income to you, and I've been aggressively paying down the mortgage so it's all very manageable now. Sticking to a budget will stand to you for years.

Check all your income as well. Don't overlook your children's allowance when budgeting.

Some personal advice - don't be afraid to say no to a wedding invitation! I know people who refuse to go to more than 2 or 3 a year because the costs mount up.

Watch out for sales for children's clothes. I buy some in advance for half price and put them aside for 6 or 12 months

Back