Money accidently transferred to wrong account

PaulJay

I accidently transferred money to wrong account. My bank tried to recall funds, but receiving bank has rejected the recall but gave no reason. Is there any way legal way of requesting the funds to be returned.

Wrong account as in somebody else's correct account number or just an error on the account number if that's even possible anymore with IBAN checkers etc?

I have done similar before using my correct account number but wrong sort code and it ended up being a valid account number in that branch, that was pre IBANs though and it was a hell of a job get the money back!

Yes someone else account, but while receiving bank gave no reason why the recall was unsuccessful, it appears the account holder is refusing to return the money.

That's a big problem so, I eventually got mine back as luckily enough it went to an fairly unused account and the customer when contacted signed the necessary forms to transfer it back but except for the fact I had a friend working in the branch who pursued it for me no one else was going to do a thing, very much tough luck was the impression I was given!

I think the next option is legal advice.

Thanks Monbretia, I would have thought that to knowingly withhold funds accidently transferred into your account is illegal. I will check legal advisor. Thanks again
They have no legal defense to this. You are not entitled to money just because it lands in your account.

Banks should have process to deal with this.

Start the complaints procedure immediately & before your money disappears.
Thanks DannyBoyD. I have lodged complaint with my own bank. Their response is that the receiving bank refused the recall request and there is nothing further they can do. I will lodge complaint with the receiving bank

It is illegal, but is the sum of money more than a court case? Probably not.
There is a SEPA recall process. I know of other cases were they tell the customer over the phone they will do so, but it is later discovered they did nothing.

Did you make the transfer yourself or via branch, hard to see how sending bank is responsible if you made transfer to incorrect account, and with check digits in account numbers hard to make a mistake in the account number, as if you used Iban then you must have given the full incorrect number.
Do you know who you sent it to?

Thanks cloughy. Sending bank set up IBAN details, there were 2 transfers, 1st went through to correct receiving account, but second went to wrong incorrect account. That was my error in that I should have double checked the details but as the first transfer went correctly, I didn't double check. Not certain who the money was sent to. I understand the issue is more on receiving side, I was following up with my bank to first do the recall and now that it was refused to see if they can tell me why it was refused. I will also try to see if the receiving bank will share why it has been refused

I sent monies to New Ireland in error and had some job getting it back. The fact that you do not know who the money was sent to is going to prove extremely difficult. I sent money from Permo. TSB. They sent one letter off to New Ireland and washed their of it.
The fact that you do not know who the money went to. I dont know where you would start because your own bank will do nothing for you..

Transfer had been set up by my bank, the 1st of 2 transfers went correctly, but for some reason the second one went to wrong account, I didn't double check the IBAN when making the 2nd transfer
I still don't understand what happened.

If the first transfer went correctly, was a different account number and IBAN used for the second transaction? How did that happen?

I sent monies to New Ireland in error and had some job getting it back. The fact that you do not know who the money was sent to is going to prove extremely difficult. I sent money from Permo. TSB. They sent one letter off to New Ireland and washed their of it.
The fact that you do not know who the money went to. I dont know where you would start because your own bank will do nothing for you..
Ttransfer was from PTSB to BOI. PTSB did send a recall but following this being rejected, they sent me a letter stating there was nothing more they could do. (They didn't give a reason why the recall was rejected, so I am following up to see if they have this information) I will also follow up with BOI
I still don't understand what happened.

If the first transfer went correctly, was a different account number and IBAN used for the second transaction? How did that happen?
Yes the second transfer went to. a different IBAN within the same receiving bank.. It was transferred on my banking app. When I transferred I should have verified the IBAN

So you re-entered the number when doing the second transfer? You did not use the same number.

You have no idea whose account it has gone into? And the bank is not allowed to tell you the name of the owner of the account.

I think you are snookered.

ptsb did nothing wrong - they followed your instructions.

Bank of Ireland has done nothing wrong - they accepted the money which was transferred to them.

You could complain to the Gardai that some unknown person is holding onto money that doesn't belong to them. I doubt that the Gardai will do anything.

You know which branch of BoI it is from the IBAN. Could you try calling to the branch. Could you try to find a friend of a friend who works in BoI who might try to do something unofficially for you.

Brendan

It feels like there's some information missing here. Did you, or someone else, enter the wrong IBAN for the second transaction?

If so, was this a typo, or transcription mistake? If so you'd need to be exceptionally unlucky to pick a valid IBAN by mistake. Like winning the lotto in reverse.

If it wasn't a typo, what actually happened? Was it an IBAN you'd set up, or come into possession of for a different purpose?

Back