Mobility Scooter on Aircraft

roker

We are planning a holiday and my wife has a mobility scooter. The batteries are approve for flight and it folds up into one piece smaller than a wheelchare.
I do not want it to go into the hold because of potential damage which is common. Has anyone had any experience of this, can they take it on the aircraft

Any use?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, it does say they must go in the hold, if only the baggage handlers could handle things better, I have had things damaged before and recently I saw a video of a wheelchair wrecked from the hold which spoilt the person's holiday

Contact the package operator or airline and ask them what arrangements they make for mobility scooters.

it does say they must go in the hold

Realistically where else could it go on the airplane but in the hold.

Clubman's link to British Airways does say:

"To store travel scooters properly, British Airways requests information about the device, including dimensions, weight, type of battery and instructions for preventing inadvertent operation. “We will always try to place your mobility aid in containers to keep them safe.

That sounds like a good plan if the other airlines do the same, so probably best as Clubman says to ask them what arrangements they make.

Realistically where else could it go on the airplane but in the hold.

Clubman's link to British Airways does say:

"To store travel scooters properly, British Airways requests information about the device, including dimensions, weight, type of battery and instructions for preventing inadvertent operation. “We will always try to place your mobility aid in containers to keep them safe.

That sounds like a good plan if the other airlines do the same, so probably best as Clubman says to ask them what arrangements they make.
It does fold up small, about the size of a medium suitcase, that is why I am questioning it

It does fold up small, about the size of a medium suitcase, that is why I am questioning it
Few, if any, airlines allow a medium suitcase in the cabin these days.

Did you read the links that I posted?
Did you contact the airline or package operator that you're likely to use for this trip to clarify their policies?

Did you contact the airline or package operator that you're likely to use for this trip to clarify their policies?
I read the links but the point I making is, how can I avoid damage

Thanks for the feedback, it does say they must go in the hold, if only the baggage handlers could handle things better, I have had things damaged before and recently I saw a video of a wheelchair wrecked from the hold which spoilt the person's holiday
The thing is the hundreds and thousands of people who have had no damage done to their mobility devices won't have uploaded videos!
You can't! Not 100%, same as you can't be certain your suitcase will arrive or won't be pilfered from.

UK site but still relevant.
It echoes what I have said twice already...
Many mobility scooters are allowed on commercial planes, trains and other transport. The individual airline companies will determine whether to permit travel with mobility scooters, so you must do your research before you book. While almost every airline allows mobility scooters, the specific travel rules may vary between companies – so it is important to always get the details in full.
Also...
How do you take a scooter on a plane?

Your electric scooter should be easy to take on a plane, should you have arranged in advance for your travel. You do not get to use your scooter on the plane, you will be provided with a dedicated aisle wheelchair, as scooters are too heavy and wide for use in a normal passenger cabin. Your scooter will be stowed in the cargo hold at the gate while you travel with the temporary chair.

If it is handed in at check in like a case, the user cannot use it in the waiting lounge or travel to the aircraft. Apparently it is handed over at the boarding gate and put in the hold, which is a far better arrangement if all airlines do that

Every single airline has dedicated helplines for people with disabilities that they can ring. I would have thought you would get the answers you are looking for there.

You need to be organised as these things are often not down to the airlines. They might take the scooter off you at the gate in Dublin and put in the hold but that is no good if you arrive in the foreign airport and they do not bring equipment to the door of the aircraft. Happens on arrival into Dublin as well depending on where the aircraft parks. It's very unlikely that they will allow the scooter to be brought on board unless they know it will be the right size and not too heavy to store in the overhead bin. But again, ring your travel agent or airline and get your options......

We are planning a holiday and my wife has a mobility scooter. The batteries are approve for flight and it folds up into one piece smaller than a wheelchare.
I do not want it to go into the hold because of potential damage which is common. Has anyone had any experience of this, can they take it on the aircraft

If it is handed in at check in like a case, the user cannot use it in the waiting lounge or travel to the aircraft. Apparently it is handed over at the boarding gate and put in the hold, which is a far better arrangement if all airlines do that
Sorry is your issue with the scooter going in the hold or not? The third quote would seem that it's not. It's very easy to arrange assistance at the airports, my mother uses it to get from security to boarding gates (she doesn't have a mobility device, just sticks) and again on the far side too.

If we take it to the boarding gate, it will not get the rough treatment when they take to the hold and presumably not thrown in like a suitcase
As you can wait up to 2 hrs before boarding after check in, it is not practical to get around the airport without the scooter

"They" means the airline and they may have different policies. As I have said several times you need to clarify the relevant airlines' policies.

If we take it to the boarding gate, it will not get the rough treatment when they take to the hold and presumably not thrown in like a suitcase
As you can wait up to 2 hrs before boarding after check in, it is not practical to get around the airport without the scooter

You really need to listen to what people are telling you and contact the airline and ask them. Just because they might take the scooter off you at the gate and gently place it in the hold doesn't mean that the ground handling staff on the other side will bring it to the aircraft doors when you land. Airlines need to arrange assistance in advance for their passengers. You really need to talk to the airlines and see what they say about the scooter or if you will have to arrange wheelchairs through them.

Why don't you just ring them? It could be sorted in minutes.

Back