Minimum Salary for PRSA Employer Contribution

Poseidon

For a company to contribute to a director's PRSA and be considered deductable for corporate tax purposes, it seems that the director must be an employee, receiving a salary under schedule E.

Is there any minimum salary (e.g. 20k p.a.) below which a director would not be considered by Revenue as a genuine employee? Or could a director pay themselves just 10€ per year and still have a company make a large PRSA contribution of 50,000+?

There's no minimum salary defined.
There are lots of PRSA's being set up under the very circumstances you mention e.g. People putting their spouse's on miniscule 'salaries' and making large employer PRSA contriubitons on their behalf. I would expect some tightening of this in Finance Act '23.

Kevin
www.thepensionstore.ie

Thanks, Kevin, for the feedback.

I just wanted to check whether Revenue could challenge the company's contribution if they consider the employment not to be bona fide due to a low salary. It's probably difficult to be certain, since no one's yet been audited on this point given the recent changes in Finance Act 2022.

I have set out my analysis on this here

I have it on good authority that the "unlimited" aspect introduced by the last budget/Finance Act will almost certainly be closed off next budget/Finance Act. It's actually laughable how it came about in the first place but unfortunately I can't go into detail... ;)

Personal Retirement Savings Accounts (PRSAs) Funding post Jan 2023

The following is a brief summary of the Finance Act as it relates to Pension Contributions in 2023.

An Employer contribution to a PRSA is no longer a Benefit in Kind (BIK) for an employee

Translation: That gets rid of an employer contribution to a PRSA being restricted by age related limits

It also means that employee contributions to PRSAs aren’t restricted by any employer contribution paid which was the case up to now – so also allows employees to contribute more and claim tax relief via a PRSA

However, the legislation does not restrict the level of BIK Free employer PRSA contributions in any way and these are not based on salary/service etc as we are used to in occupational pension schemes which are subject to Revenue maximum funding rules.

Translation: An employer can pay as much as they like into a PRSA without reference to either salary or service of the employee.

Tax relief on all employer PRSA contributions can be claimed in the accounting period in which it is paid unlike a special contribution to an occupational pension where the tax relief is spread forward over 5 years.

So now an employer can make any contribution to a PRSA they wish without limit.

Employees still need to consider the overall Standard Fund Threshold of €2 Million above which benefits are taxed at a punitive tax rate of 71%.

However, note that a PRSA can be "split" allowing a "good" fund of €2m and a "bad" fund above €2m. Note the bad fund can be deferred to age 75 and death before retirement is not a benefit crystalisation event for the purposes of applying the excess tax above the SFT.

Translation: just leave the excess to the family as a tax efficient inheritance

Therefore, not only can an employer now make an unlimited contribution to a PRSA they can also claim tax relief in the accounting period in which its paid

These rules are now hardwired in to current legislation

They apply to employees and 20% Directors. They also apply to 20% Directors of Investment Companies.

Self Employed Sole Traders or Partnerships can pay a BIK free employer PRSA contribution for an employee and this can include adult children (over 18) who can be put onto payroll.

The contribution to a Revenue approved pension, such as a PRSA, is not subject to CAT even where there is a family relationship between the parties. Therefore contributions can be made to a child's pension without impacting the CAT A exempt amounts.

Revenue's position on salary sacrifice still needs to be considered and should not be overlooked when making an employer contribution. Extra employer payments in addition to existing remuneration are allowable but an employee reducing their salary to make the payment will be caught by the salary sacrifice provisions.

An employer can contribute to an occupational scheme and a PRSA at the same time for the same employee.

Excessive remuneration

In dealing with excessive remuneration, the Revenue practice note covering remuneration to connected parties in a close company denies a tax deduction to the company – it does not prevent the payment being made i.e. no prohibition applies to payments to a PRSA.

The denial of relief for excessive remuneration takes place under the “wholly and exclusively” test in s81 – this section doesn’t apply to PRSA contributions.

The Revenue Pensions Manual makes no mention of restrictions applying under the excessive remuneration rules.

In fact in paragraph 24.3 it has been amended to now expressly state: “There is no limit on employer contributions to an employee’s PRSA. However, the overall standard fund threshold for an
individual of €2m applies.”

For the sake of completeness we also considered the position of a close company making a pension contribution to an adult child and the potential impact on CAT.

A Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) exemption applies to retirement benefits, redundancy payments or pension payments paid to you by your employer.

The exemption will not apply to a payment where:

1) you are related to your employer, or your employer is a private company in which you have control

2) the payment is not made under a Revenue approved scheme

and

3) Revenue decide that, in the circumstances of the case, the payment is excessive.

Where the employee is a relative of the employer or the employer is a private company controlled by the employee within the meaning of CATCA 2003 s 27 (see Chapter 6 Section6.5.7),

the exemption will not apply if the payment is not made under a Revenue approved scheme and is considered by the Revenue Commissioners to be excessive having regard to all the circumstances of the case.”

This analysis is based on our understanding of current Irish tax law and tax practices as commonly understood.

We accept that future changes in law as it is currently written are highly likely but the legislation as it is currently written does support unlimited payments.

However the law can be ambiguous and open to more than one interpretation. Many areas of law are not the subject matter of clarification by decisions of the Irish courts and accordingly, there is always a risk that the courts might, on future occasions or in the course of specific litigation, disagree with the interpretation placed on legislation by practitioners today.

In addition, there is every possibility that the Irish Revenue Commissioners might adopt a different interpretation of the law or might re-characterise a transaction which in their opinion constitutes a tax avoidance transaction.

Everlake

It is nonsense to take the position that it’s ‘open season’ for employer contributions to PRSAs, which is what the above post is saying. Tax deductions will be denied for lots of the silly stuff that advisers are suggesting.

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

An accountant friend is advising me that Revenue could deem a tiny salary coupled with a large PRSA contribution as "tax avoidance" under their extensive powers during an audit. This seems odd to me as a PRSA only defers personal taxation rather than avoids it altogether.

Moreover, they voiced their concerns that a tiny drawn salary may enable Revenue to challenge the employee status of a director itself, which would then enable them to deem the contribution non-deductible, which could then result in a large corporate tax & professional services surcharge on the entire PRSA contribution. Interestingly, Marc states that a company can contribute for an employee OR a 20% director, which would negate this concern for directors at least. Zurich seems to disagree and states that employee status is a prerequisite:

In summary, to partially counter this perceived Revenue risk, I was advised to draw a small, but non-negligible salary, despite a 52% tax/prsi/usc cost for me. Metis uses an example of €10,000 p.a.:

Never ask your barber whether you need a haircut.

I’d be comfortable lobbing €500k in for someone who has been employed for years, albeit on a modest salary.

I’d be uncomfortable adopting the “do what you like” approach suggested by some.

It's an ethical matter.

Any form of tax planning involves an ethical assessment of tax evasion vs tax avoidance considerations and always in the context of an individual tax payers personal preferences around tax planning opportunities. It is never a one size fits all result which is why I have been careful to set out the analysis in a balanced and considered manner.

It certainly isn't "nonsense" and nobody believes that it is "open season". I am simply setting out the facts of what the legislation says - this is different to the intended consequences of the legislation and perhaps Revenue would want it to say something else as @ClubMan has alluded to. But, as things stand today and as per the Revenue Pensions manual paragraph 24.3 as a matter of fact "there is no limit on employer contributions to an employees PRSA"

Just so we are all clear on the Facts ok?

I didn’t say that it was.

Perhaps I should just cancel my professional indemnity insurance and rely on your seemingly infinite wisdom
I would simply advise you to be cautious regarding large pension contributions linked to very new and/or very modestly paid employments.

The important part that your lengthy ‘analysis’ ignores is that implicit within Revenue Manuals and the like is the idea that it’s all ‘without prejudice to other Sections’.

Isn’t there also an inherent conflict of interest for brokers such as yourself? i.e. the more the client puts into his or her PRSA, the more a broker is paid.

Personally, I would defer to a tax adviser in relation to something as nuanced as this.

1) nobody should be following the advice of an anonymous poster

2) the analysis is a summary of tax and legal advice we have paid for from leading pension experts and tax consultants

3) we are not a financial broker and not reliant upon sales commissions to run our business which is fee-based and our financial advice fees are subject to VAT as they are not intermediation ie they are not dependent on the sale of a product

Where we do receive fund based revenue or commission payments we cap our fees so that clients with larger portfolios pay progressively lower fees

1) nobody should be following the advice of an anonymous poster
98% of AAM posters are pseudonymous. There is no anonymous posting.

Use of pseudonyms allows the rest of us to develop an opinion based on a user’s track record of posting in a particular topic.

The ethical matter is makey-uppy salaries for makey-uppy employees on the advice of an intermediary and the provider then knowingly processing the business. There's no ethical dilemma on the limit of employer contributions for bona fide employees.

The analysis is no different to what any of the product providers have published. There were a few indirect questions about the makey-uppy employees/salaries at a few of the PRSA presentations (they were seen, no doubt, by some intermediaries (who all have PI) as a 'sales idea') but the grey/non-commital answers given by the providers should have been enough to put it out of mind.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie

98% of AAM posters are pseudonymous. There is no anonymous posting.

Use of pseudonyms allows the rest of us to develop an opinion based on a user’s track record of posting in a particular topic.

I disagree. If you are anonymous there is no accountability in the real world for your opinions and no ability to silence hostile posters, emboldened by their anonymity without forcing a Norwich Pharmacal Order through the courts.

Interested investors cannot directly pursue and execute a line of enquiry.

However, I am also critical of brokers who provide advice in an unregulated forum free from compliance costs and processes and then implement on an execution only basis.

Back