Mill Road, Corbally, Limerick

lin

hi

Does anybody have any views on this area of Limerick. We have seen a beautiful house there and believe that Scoil Ide would be a good school for my two. We both will be working on the Dublin rd side of Limerick.

Thanks for any comments.

l

It's a very nice part of town; the only downside is the horrendous queue of traffic every morning trying to get out onto the main road (and indeed onwards into the city centre; the road is a single lane each way nearly all the way in).

I would second that, but even with the morning traffic there is always a good take up on houses in the area and it remains very popular. good area for families.

Yep, my folks bought there 2.5 years ago. They really like it. Nice properties. only disadvantages

Sorry .. only disadvantages are the rush hour to get out in the am, and that you have to drive to get a litre of milk to supervalu since the local "bread and milk and papers" shop (walkable) closed before xmas.

Be wary..as far as I remember there has been a history of flooding in certain areas out the Mill Road and Corbally in the past. Particularally the Westbury Estate area.

I had a quick google and found this: [broken link removed]

It mentions 5 houses on the Mill Road that suffered flooding. I remember instances in the 1980's and 1990's as well. All to differant and varying degrees of flooding.

It's not that I don't think the area is nice but for this reason- previous flooding history- I would not buy there..also if I remember correctly the public transport service is not great or the access to local shops etc as a previous poster said.

Have a look into a possible flooding issue for youself. Don't just take my word for it.

Thanks guys for all your replies. Sounds very nice there.

Pixied, someone mentioned the flooding and I have also had reservations about this but I coudn't find much myself when i googled it. I also contacted the OPWLimerick office who told me that they knew nothing about so I really appreciate your response. I will have to do more research so before I even consider buying there as it is right down the bottom of the Mill Road and I suppose very near the river. Pity as it was a fantastic house in nice peaceful location and within our budget.

Saw another in Rhebogue Meadows, any view on that area. very convienient for work but my concern would be schools for my two.

Cheers.

Hi Lin

I also could not find much through a quick google but there definitely was flooding, some of it quite bad, in that area over the last 30 years to my knowledge. Westbury as far as I know was built on part of the floodplain for the river there. The person in the OPW may not be familar with the area as one flooding in particular caused huge problems some years ago, speak with some local people or someone in the corporation/county council who has worked there for many years. Actually the local TD's office may even know something.

Rhebogue is nice, I haven't heard anything about floodings there.

Westbury is in a different area and away from the river completely and I don't recall flooding there, but the mill road has some housing that is close to the river and some that is close to quite marshy land. Which estate in the mill road is it? I know of plenty of people that are living there a long time and haven't had problems but do look into it to ease your own mind. re public transport, it's just off the corbally road so that isn't an issue I would have thought, but i guess that depends on how dependant you are on it. There was a small shop located centrally on the mill road, I'm not sure if its still open, but the main shop dealing with the area is for sale at the moment and is likely to reopen. Rhebogue is on the Dublin road side, but the Mill road would be considered more desirable.

Hi Pixied.

I think,from my searches, the particularly bad flooding you mentioned was in 1999 where several other areas of Limerick were flooded aswell. I got this info from floodmaps.ie it say that corbally, condell road, clare street, long pavement, Dromroe, Athlunkard, Sir Harry's Mall, Clancy's strand and more flooded. Shur going on that by the sounds of it half of Limerick has flooded!

The only thing was that this house was not built by then and surely there would have been measures taken when building to avoid and to comply with legislation re building on flood planes. The Estate Agent couldn't tell me who built the houses. I will have to try and speak with someone in the corporation maybe. I'd hate to buy a house and have to deal with flooding down the line or not be able to sell it in the future.

Do you have any idea who the local TD might be?

Anyone any other suggestions where I might go. My budget would be circa €320 and I want to have a playroom and utility. Am I asking too much, I wonder.

Ya I thought that Mill Road might be more desirable than Rhebogue but that place seems very good for convenience I suppose. The estate is Suil na Habhainn, lovely three storey houses, very near the river though. Thought it might be nice place for the Kids to grow up. Westbury doesn't appeal to me at all but that just because its huge, i don't know anything else about it. We don't depend on public transport so we'd be fine there and we'd manage the shopping aswell. I suppose its just the flooding and traffic so.

God thanks everyone for all your help

QUOTE]Do you have any idea who the local TD might be?[/QUOTE]

I think Jan o'Sullivan (labour) lives in the area and Willie O'Dea is always a good bet.

Anyone any other suggestions where I might go. My budget would be circa €320 and I want to have a playroom and utility. Am I asking too much, I wonder.
You should have plenty of scope for that money. You will have change in your pocket on the mill road. I would look to the castletroy/annacotty side of town. At the moment it seems to be the busiest area for queries and sales and there is good access, amenities and top schools at that side aswell.

Suil na habhann is quite a nice estate and good value aswell, you should probably get one around the €300k mark, they usually sell well.

Hi Lin

I would agree with Mr Man and maybe also look to the Annacotty area. Or even Castleconnell. Kilaloe is also very popular and both are near to the water.

Mill Road is defo considered more desirable then Rhebogue but I wasn't sure what you're budget was. Personally I would stick to the Dublin road side of town, for convenience, good transport, amenities and good schools. But it is up to you.

Saw another in Rhebogue Meadows, any view on that area. very convienient for work but my concern would be schools for my two.

Primary schools nearest that area are St Patrick's boys and St Patrick's girls both on the Dublin Rd and St Brigid's mixed which is just off Childer's Road a 5-10 minute walk from the Parkway sc on the Dublin Rd. They are both governed by St.Patrick's/St.Brigid's parish.

Ya there are a few houses for sale in Annacotty, might just have another look at them before I make a decision. Although the houses seem to be that bit smaller and more expensive. Castletroy like Westbury seems to be huge, but I suppose more expensive. There does seem to be every sort of amenity on your doorstep in Annacotty and Castletroy.

For all its inconveniences something keeps drawing me to the Mill Road. I suppose its just so peaceful looking and the houses seem very spacious.

How about Clonlara? I think it's considered Clare but it is only about 10 mins drive from Corbally.

I wouldn't go to Castletroy as I think it has become over developed and too many students. Still a nice area though. Annacotty is better.

What about places like Murroe? It's near Glenstal Abbey and is rural, about 15 mins from Annacotty. Houses are also cheaper here.

No Clonlara is too far away from the city and so is Murroe. They just don't interest me. I am going to book a few viewings in Annacotty and see what else comes up. I still have my heart set on the Mill Road, so I will have to keep doing my research on that and just go out there some morning and see for myself how bad the traffic is because if its bad and I've two impatient babies in the back I won't be long getting turned off!!!

hi

and believe that Scoil Ide would be a good school for my two.
Thanks for any comments.

l

Scoil Ide would have a very good reputation. Quite big school and very popular - only thing to be careful is check the enrolment policy for catchment area. Its an old school and its catchment could be the older Corbally area and might not include Mill Road even though its right beside it. Remember hearing something like this some time ago - maybe no relevant but just check it out anyway. Certainly recommend the school though.

Your first instincts are correct. It is lovely down there. My folks live in Suil Na hAoibhann and its really v nice.

Ya its good to hear the positive from somebody who lives there. Its definately my first preference for both location and school for my pair. Thanks everyone!!

Back