Mick Wallace underpayment of VAT

Let's see:

He's a politician
He's a builder who's left a string of sub-contractors without pay
He's avoided/evaded/whatever paying >2m in tax
He's in public office and has often mouthed off about how FF wrecked the economy

IMO he's a complete chancer, devoid of the necessary skills for public office (quite a few of them in there though to be fair) but blessed with a trusting face.

I think Blueband was referring to Clare Daly, not Mick Wallace!

Just an insight into someone's thinking..If they choose to pack sausages for a living (their choice)..it would appear all it would have taken was a half hour under supervision on how to pack a sausage.. Im sure there are many who didn't have an accountancy degree who would have appreciated that job , a degree most likely subsidised by the tax payer .

So... I haven't misunderstood your opinion then? In your opinion she did an accounting degree, so there is some kind of social imperative that she then seeks and/or takes a job in accountancy, or some equally "worthy" area, rather than slum it by taking an unskilled job..?

I think your last couple of posts give a more interesting insight into your thinking / attitudes, than anyone else's.

As for the "subsidised by the taxpayer" bit, every student in the country, from primary level upwards is subsidised to some extent by the taxpayer.

So... I haven't misunderstood your opinion then? In your opinion she did an accounting degree, so there is some kind of social imperative that she then seeks and/or takes a job in accountancy, or some equally "worthy" area, rather than slum it by taking an unskilled job..?

I think your last couple of posts give a more interesting insight into your thinking / attitudes, than anyone else's.

As for the "subsidised by the taxpayer" bit, every student in the country, from primary level upwards is subsidised to some extent by the taxpayer.

I suppose the argument could be make that it your education was funded by your fellow citizens you should use that education for the common good.
That may mean working as an accountant and having the be-This post will be deleted if not edited immediately taxed out of your income or doing something that helps others. Working as a cleaner or joining a vested interest group that seeks to further the interests of its members to the detriment of the common good hardly fit that aspiration but becoming a TD might (depending on how that TD behaves).

Personally I find the whole "repaying society" thing a bit Big Brother-ish.

In your opinion she did an accounting degree, so there is some kind of social imperative that she then seeks and/or takes a job in accountancy, or some equally "worthy" area, rather than slum it by taking an unskilled job..?

Ehh yep, there are many others who are less qualified to pack sausages,who may have needed that job,and there is someone who has a degree taking it instead..

Some people don't have the confidence/education/means/backround to go out into the big bad world and face difficult challenges,whereas some choose a cushy non challenging job..
So my point stands..why did she choose to pack sausages?

Can't stand Clare Daly but who are people here to criticise what job she may have taken. There may have been personal or medical reasons to explain what she did. She worked and she paid taxes. If she chooses to become a cleaner or set up the new Facebook is no one else's business.

There are plenty of areas where she can be ridiculed including her support of Wallace but choosing to work in Aer Lingus catering is not one of those areas.

I haven't noticed anyone ridiculing her, people are noting she did an accountancy degree and then went on to pack sausages..when has stating facts become ridicule?

And of course when you have a choice and choose to work in an non challenging job( for your qualifications ),you end up on minimum wage,and then some go on to criticize those who have worked to try earn a better a standard of living for them and their families..so to me this is more about choosing the easy option..and thats fine by me..except when it comes to someone who is high profile and spends a lot of time and energy arguing with the world for all it is doing to them and others like them.

can't stand clare daly but who are people here to criticise what job she may have taken. There may have been personal or medical reasons to explain what she did. She worked and she paid taxes. If she chooses to become a cleaner or set up the new facebook is no one else's business.

There are plenty of areas where she can be ridiculed including her support of wallace but choosing to work in aer lingus catering is not one of those areas.
+1

If he did not disclose the tax he owed in order to keep the company going is this Insolvent trading? If I recall Pierse Contracting were cited for similiar shortly after their demise

did the Revenue strike a deal knowing his firm could never pay it???

Presumably, it's not unusual, otherwise they can't close the audit and name & shame the company. It's a situation that's become more common in recent years. [broken link removed]

'name and shame'.....and they can then close the file!!!! madness

As opposed to what?

Keep the file open, still don't get the money (since as your own post acknowledges, they're unlikely to ever get it), and the name never gets published...?

Maybe you're unclear as to how the Revenue audit system operates. Cases are audited to determine if there's additional liability, assess it if there is, and attempt to collect it. Where liability exists, the punishments are interest, penalties and publication. If the tax, interest and penalties aren't collectable in full, the audit still needs to be closed in order for publication. Otherwise there's a clear incentive not to pay, and thereby avoid publication. The Code of Practice for Revenue Audit contains clear guidelines as to how "inability to pay" cases are dealt with.

Another purpose is to recommend cases suitable for prosecution, to Revenue's Investigation & Prosecution Division. Now, we'll never know whether Wallace's case was even considered for prosecution, but such cases are very difficult to prosecute (it's essentially trying to prove fraud), so there probably wasn't deemed to be a winnable case.

“Even though it was illegal, I thought it was the right thing to do.”

Yet, when he was owed money he hired a hitman to get it for him. And this guy is a member of our parliment.

[broken link removed]

Yet, when he was owed money he hired a hitman to get it for him. And this guy is a member of our parliment.

[broken link removed]

Careful now !

He spoke to & threatened to employ an armed debt collector in order to collect monies owing - he never hired such a person.

Hopefully the VAT collection unit of the Revenue don't have a SWAT team in place from the point of view of protecting the bould Mickey's peace of mind.

Careful now !

He spoke to & threatened to employ an armed debt collector in order to collect monies owing - he never hired such a person.

Hopefully the VAT collection unit of the Revenue don't have a SWAT team in place from the point of view of protecting the bould Mickey's peace of mind.

Is threatening to kill someone a crime?
If the person believes the threat is real does that constitute intimidation?

Is threatening to kill someone a crime?
If the person believes the threat is real does that constitute intimidation?

I would say that it is definitely a crime but one that is unlikely to be pursued as Mr. Wallace according to media reports did not directly approach the person who owed him money.

It does appear that Mr. Wallace did not employ an armed debt collector however.

He is however an indelible stain on the face of the body politic.

Back