Mice....when is it safe to assume they gone?

aido71

The Joys of living in the country! From time to time had a mouse but nothing like this......After catching sight of one Sunday yesterday turned into a massacre with 8 caught and as of today up to 11! Obviously Mum arrived and produced a brood (hopefully just the one litter!!). Most got were small (in fact I felt kinda bad at one stage as they looked really cute and sad) but caught one large mean one so hoping that was mom. With a busy house we appalled that we never noticed any trace......they concentrated in utility behind boiler which cant get at. They can also access under units in kitchen though thankfully no trace they been parading across the units. Traps everywhere (they can get upstairs through pipe conduit) but death toll slowing (at one stage yesterday was catching them as soon as trap set..in fact got 2 sets of 2 with same trap!) Also got a plug in device. Had one but the guy in Hardware told me to turn it on and off periodically as leaving it on they will get used to it. So my question really is when can we be reasonably assured the invasion ended? My wife I think will last a day or 2 more before leaving the house to them (and a useless dog who has been sharing a room with them!) They don't bother me persay just kinda grossed that we have been cohabitating happily without knowing....not sure if that says more about the mice ingenuity or our living standards!!

If the traps stop catching them you might be in the mouse free zone. Good luck and for your information i've found the plug in devices useless.
I found a vent that was put on an outside wall when we got natural gas had a space that they got in through. I put in a new one and have had no problem since. Before that it was kids, etc, leaving external doors open, that's a big no, no, in this house now and no mice for quite a while. I was always afraid i'd see a rat because they say they're everywhere but thankfully we didn't.

We had just one large mouse caught in the attic with one trap, he had been in two kitchen cabinets two floors down accessed through rear of cabinets where the gas and water turn offs are located, none caught for over a month" still can't believe there was just one...

They may be shy. Wait until they get to know you guys and the foods you like. You're going to be great friends.

How do you know? You stop catching them in the traps and there's no droppings. We usually get them every winter. My wife thought we were infested this year but it was just two...by the size of the female, we weren't far off having a litter in the house.

The old fashioned mouse traps are the best with a bit of peanut butter or a raisin ;)

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Cat is great; only problem is they catch them outside and bring them in! Had a live one brought in recently!

This morning brought 3 more bodies bringing death toll to 15! Nothing for past 18hrs and no sign of traps being disturbed so not sure if we should be cautiously optimistic or if they biding their time before striking with next wave!! My wife taking boys and leaving if they still around at weekend! Should have thought of this trick years ago!!!:) Last few have been quite small so hopefully drawing to an end. Traps gonna stay put for next week at least.....peanut butter on snap traps worked great. Had got a few of new fancy ones that were meant to be easily picked up and mouse disposed off without need to go near them and they were crap! pad not sensitive enough so they just had a feast!! Dogs birthday on Tuesday (14yrs old!) and getting him a kitten as a present...useless mutt! No loyalty to us!!

He's too old to be going around chasing mice! A comfy chair and sleeping all day is what he's looking for!:D

It's a wonder someone hasn't written a book on this subject. Depending on the fun aspect used, it could be a great read.

I caught two mice two weeks ago but have left a couple of traps in places since just to be sure. I'll probably remove them soon. I dislike cats and expect that they are detrimental to human health so that's a non-runner for me. If I were the OP I wouldn't advertise any further trappings (or sightings) to my spouse, I'd just dispose of the evidence discretely.

Well it's been 48hrs without a corpse..... final death toll 15!! Cautious optimism..... either we have been victorious or the survivors hunkering down rebuilding their force before launching second wave!!!!!
And no free weekend for me... wife staying put!!!

Agree with noproblem.

15 years after moving into my house I had a solo. The most expensive mouse in Ireland. I paid a company to come in and exterminate but I had trapped him/her myself a day before. In fairness they removed the remains. RIP.

The repellent company set enough baits to kill the entire mouse population in the town. But it seemed my basic trap killed the entire population of one. Hence my Description of the most expensive mouse in Ireland.

I blamed a plumbing company who came in to do some work for opening doors and letting him in. But I had blamed in error.

I also got somebody in to fill in every hole, crack in the house or so I thought.

The following year, a new mouse. Another company brought in to kill!

They identified the weak spot - a tiny hole under one of my sills.

No mouse this year - so far!

Marion

Well almost a week on and no further signs...traps still in place. Will leave them down for at least another week. They the best solution. My wife was talking to vermin control guys at her school and they said with mice not to waste money on calling them..... they said traps best..., only need to get the pros on if bigger guys turn up!!! Am convinced it was the dog food bag that brought them in.... in fact I carried them in!!! House never been so clean.... saw parts I haven't seen since we built it!!!!

Dog part of family.... 14 today!! Has become a cranky old man...., has taken to standing at bottom of stairs at 6.30 am barking for his breakfast!!!! No barking at mice!!! I drive my boys nuts every morning when I come downstairs and greet dog with " are you dead yet"!! But for all that there will be devastation when he does go..... my eldest was 1 when we got him..... my youngest calls him his brother..!! Already told my boss when he does go expect me not to be at work for couple of days!! Still incredibly healthy..... but could have shown some interest in mice!!!!

14 years old for a dog would be 98 in human terms. I'd imagine his habit of barking @ 6.30 am is not for his breakfast at all, he's letting you know he made it through the night. Get a little puppy now and the loss won't be as bad when the inevitable happens.

Back