Medical expenses tax return

AndyDub

I've searched for a similar issue , but didnt find anything so here goes.
Myself and my fiance will have maternity costs of around 9500 euro this year.
I'm on the high rate of tax, she is on the 20% rate.,
My question is, who should we pay the costs in my name or her name to have a better tax refund at the end of the year, or does it make a difference? And what amount should we recover....?
Thanks.

€9,500! That's some bill.

You should pay it and then reclaim the tax as you'll get the tax refund at your marginal rate (41%).

You are not married and the expenses are related to her medical care so I would not have thought that you have a choice and would have to claim under her name? If all of the €9,500 is not otherwise reimbursed (e.g. via health insurance) and qualifies for relief then she should get back (€9,500 - €125) @ 20% = €1,875.

You should pay it and then reclaim the tax as you'll get the tax refund at your marginal rate (41%).
How is that possible when they are not married?!

I agree that the bill sounds high. I would have expected semi-private maternity costs to total about half that if not even less unless there were complications.

€9,500! That's some bill.

Are you sure that this is allowed, I thought it was only allowed when you were married?

Clubman and Cashstrapped, part of the changes introduced in the 2007 finance Act removed the requirement for the person for whom you are claiming to be related to you.

The only requirement now is that you incurred the expenditure.

Clubman and Cashstrapped, part of the changes introduced in the 2007 finance Act removed the requirement for the person for whom you are claiming to be related to you.

So you are saying if I was unemployed and went private my father could claim back medical expenses at 41% for me through his tax returns rather than my partner who pays 20% tax ???

Last edited:
So you are saying if I was unemployed and went private my father could claim back medical expenses at 41% for me through his tax returns???

Not only your father, if your neighbour paid your medical expenses she could claim the tax back.

they are the expenses for mount carmel. I did have a good look thru' the revenue site, it seems better if I pay the costs as I can claim at 41...

Ah - I see. I wish Revenue would update their website to reflect these changes c. 6 months on! :mad:

so this begs the question, what do they need as proof that I paid and not the missus?

Ah - I see. I wish Revenue would update their website to reflect these changes c. 6 months on! :mad:

I wish they had too, I would be financially better off to have paid by dental bills this year and got my partner to reclaim at 41% than in December and get 20%, every day's a school day...

And don't forget that the €125 threshold has been abolished too.

Not good news for me but will cheer up a family friend (unemployed at present) who has been paying large amounts of money for medical tests due to not having VHI etc., but now his partner can now pay and reclaim in her name, so thanks for that Nige.

so this begs the question, what do they need as proof that I paid and not the missus?
As far as I know they expect you to retain receipts in case they audit the claim. But I don't know that they check how the payment was made or who funded it.

You are not married and the expenses are related to her medical care so I would not have thought that you have a choice and would have to claim under her name? If all of the €9,500 is not otherwise reimbursed (e.g. via health insurance) and qualifies for relief then she should get back (€9,500 - €125) @ 20% = €1,875.

But are the expenses not also related to the child of the OP ?

*edit* ok I figured it out from earlier in the thread*

As far as I know they expect you to retain receipts in case they audit the claim. But I don't know that they check how the payment was made or who funded it.
thats the thing the receipts I've had so far dont have my name or my missus' name either.

Back