Media City, Salford Quays, Manchester

Do not touch this with a barge pole.

GBP 175k for a 1 bed in Manchester - somebody must be having an absolute laugh?????

How in hell's name would anyone hope to cover a 90% mortgage plus associated costs via rental on this?

Believe an investor would struggle to break even if they owed the bank GBP 75k here.

A 90% mortgage would be around £900 a month interest only. Add in min £100/month for service charge and you would be looking at around £300-£400 a month loss on your 'investment'. That is if you can even let it.

You would have to be crazy to get in on it. And as for capital gains forget it. Who in Manchester can afford £175k for a one bed?? Not many...

Today's telegraph-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/02/21/cmbtl21.xml
Price of new build flats 'set to crash'

Last Updated: 1:10am GMT 23/02/2008

The price of new build flats are heading for a "full scale crash", causing misery for tens of thousands of buy-to-let landlords who gambled on an ongoing property boom, writes Paul Farrow
Taxman targets buy-to-let landlords
No let-up for buy-to-let
www.telegraph.co.uk/mortgages According to Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein "reckless lending and over-building of flats threatens recession because a bubble had been stoked "by highly speculative (and potentially highly suspect) development, lending and valuation practices which have led to over-supply of flats in cities across the country, most notably Leeds".
[broken link removed]Henry Laver Court in Colchester: the price of flats here fell significantly from 2006-07Flats rose from 21 per cent of all housing starts to 49 per cent in Q3 2007. Tellingly, said Dresdner, it fell off in Q4, supporting suggestions from, among others Barratt, that a number of higher density city centre sites could be 'mothballed'.
"We believe there will be a serious fall in sales and starts in the months ahead in new build apartments," said Alistair Stewart at Dresdner: "The urban flats market appears most in line for a full scale crash – a view we have held consistently since late 1995, when we observed the rise of 'investor clubs' and what struck us as sharp practice through much of the wider property market."
Stewart said that his concerns had been justified with the Financial Services Authority recently revealing that it is investigating over 200 cases of new build property fraud and that the City of London Police are set to produce a report on mortgage fraud within weeks.
A senior executive of the Nationwide building society also recently warned about "endemic fraud" where there has been oversupply of new city centre flats.
Stewart added: "Over-pricing, the impact of the credit crunch on lenders and fears of fraud are a 'triple whammy', which is already leading to evidence of a considerable tightening up in lending. The result, we are convinced, has to be a either a decline in prices or volumes ... or both. While we believe that the main problem lies with new flats – especially high density developments with only modest demand such as Leeds, Leicester, Nottingham and Ipswich – the impact will be felt more widely due to extensive buyer chains."
Last year, the Telegraph highlighted how investors who gambled on rising house prices were getting their fingers burnt. We revealed how half-a-dozen flats barely two years old at Henry Laver Court, part of a development in the heart of Colchester, sold, with incentives, for between £224,995 and £249,995 in 2006. But their reserve price at the auction was £140,000; five sold for £145,000, the other for £155,000 in July 2007.
The trend has continued and many flats that go under the hammer at auction today are "by order of the mortgagee'' - in other words, they were repossessed properties.
Many are new-build flats that had been sold to buyers with incentives such as stamp duty and legal fees paid or rental guarantees, suggesting that they were bought by budding buy-to-let landlords.
Investors who failed to put down a big deposit will have mortgage repayments in excess of £1,300 a month, while the rental value is only around £700 a month and plunging valuations are leaving them in negative equity territory. It gets worse: there are dozens of properties vying for every tenant. Investors who have been unable to cut their losses and run have been forced to hand in the keys to their lender.
In the North, several landlords who bought flats in a development in Liverpool are already counting the cost of buying off-plan through a property association. One association offered flats for sale at a discount because it was able to negotiate cheap deals by taking a number of properties in a new development at an early stage, and so get a "wholesale'' price. The rationale is that the property will have risen in value and the member can turn his off-plan investment into a handsome profit.
One Telegraph reader paid £139,000 for his off-plan two-bedroom flat in Liverpool two years ago. The association reckoned the property would be worth at least £153,000 when it was completed last year. But when the reader remortgaged he discovered that the property was worth just £121,000 and he has had to reduce his mortgage by £20,000 to qualify under the lender's buy-to-let criteria. Fortunately he had the means to reduce the mortgage and he has tenants in the flat - the rent now covers the new lower mortgage. But other landlords in the block may not have been so fortunate.
In Manchester, a repossessed flat bought for £178,000 in 2004, was recently offered at a London auction with a guide price of just £80,000. At a similar Manchester development, City South, one new flat was bought from the developer in 2001 for a just under £140,000 - it was sold a few months ago for just £87,970.
Experts advise that if you have a property that has been empty for a long time, ask yourself why: is the rent too high, perhaps, or have you bought in the wrong area?
"If it is the former, check what the market rent is and reduce it. If it is the latter, it might be time to cut your losses and sell the property,'' says Melanie Bien of Savills Private Finance.
"It is also worth checking whether your mortgage payments are as low as they could be. If you haven't remortgaged for some time and there are no penalties for switching, you may well find something cheaper.
Jonathan Cornell of Hamptons International suggests that investors struggling to find tenants should reduce the rent and top it up themselves - if they can. "Selling is the most painful option. If you can afford £100 month yourself, it might help you get a tenant. It will also buy you time - in 18 months it will be a more relaxed environment to sell in.''

Do not touch this with a barge pole.

GBP 175k for a 1 bed in Manchester - somebody must be having an absolute laugh?????

How in hell's name would anyone hope to cover a 90% mortgage plus associated costs via rental on this?

Believe an investor would struggle to break even if they owed the bank GBP 75k here.

depends on what the size, spec and outlook of the apartment was

.....what appt size, specs & outlook? do you think a landlord would require to cover costs on a GBP175k 1 bed purchase??

Outrageous...

.....what appt size, specs & outlook? do you think a landlord would require to cover costs on a GBP175k 1 bed purchase??

Outrageous...

not all apartments are suitable for the rental market. This is one, that doesnt mean that the price is outrageous.

Simple research of the market in Manchester will show that this price for a 1 bed isn't just outrageous, it's laughable !.

depends on what the size, spec and outlook of the apartment was
Since you seem to be a "lone voice of reason," would you like to declare any interests that you have in talking up the Manchester property market?

I think the original poster should know who they are getting advice from.

my disclosure: I do not own property in the North of England, nor am I likely to any time soon given the current way the numbers don't stack up, nor do I sell property elsewhere.

I can't believe the comments from ydontu, you either have brought there and are scared sh!tless of losing your investment or you're selling there, then if so more fool you. Everyone, evern the naivest of investors, now knows the centre of Manchester is over supplied and over priced (still). End of story.

Prices are down between up to 25% in some developments on Salford Quays, which are, by the way, 5 minutes from some of the most deprived areas in the country (the local kids come to SQ to rob cars and people).

Agents in Manchester started to punt apartments in the city centre to Irish investors who, because of the prices rises in Ireland, thought they were good value in comparison. Locals in Manchester on the whole buy houses because they are reasonably priced in many areas of the city. The warning sign came for me when apartments prices over took houses, with ignorant Irish investors paying more for one bedroom houses than three-bed red brick houses in good suburbs of the city.

I have said this before but if anyone is thinking of buying in Manchester go for suburbs along the new tram route to Altrincham where there is an abundance of young professional renters such as Chorlton-cum-Hardy, or other parts of South Manchester such as Withington or Didsbury. These are the areas where that the students from Fallowfield and Moss Side go to when the get their first jobs.

Geordie

I can't believe the comments from ydontu, you either have brought there and are scared sh!tless of losing your investment or you're selling there, then if so more fool you. Everyone, evern the naivest of investors, now knows the centre of Manchester is over supplied and over priced (still). End of story.

Prices are down between up to 25% in some developments on Salford Quays, which are, by the way, 5 minutes from some of the most deprived areas in the country (the local kids come to SQ to rob cars and people).

Agents in Manchester started to punt apartments in the city centre to Irish investors who, because of the prices rises in Ireland, thought they were good value in comparison. Locals in Manchester on the whole buy houses because they are reasonably priced in many areas of the city. The warning sign came for me when apartments prices over took houses, with ignorant Irish investors paying more for one bedroom houses than three-bed red brick houses in good suburbs of the city.

I have said this before but if anyone is thinking of buying in Manchester go for suburbs along the new tram route to Altrincham where there is an abundance of young professional renters such as Chorlton-cum-Hardy, or other parts of South Manchester such as Withington or Didsbury. These are the areas where that the students from Fallowfield and Moss Side go to when the get their first jobs.

Geordie

thats the line to the airport not Altrincham

p.s. I got no apartments in Manchester - its just true that if you have a high spec, oversized apartment then that is more suited for the owner occupier market and not the rental market - thats all I am saying. Also the rental market in Manchester is stronger now than at any time before.

I've been reading all your posts with interest and would like to ask for advice. I came across this site trying to brush up on my knowledge of developments that would be a risk to buy in.

I would be like to know what anyone think of LeftBank Apartments at Spinningfields and the costs of those apartments. I've looked at a number of them with the possiblity to buy one to live in as we love that area of town. The duplex apartments in there are very expensive and are above £300k.

What price do posters on here feel that they are worth or what they might possibly be worth in the near future? Any replies would be really appreciated. Thankyou

I've been reading all your posts with interest and would like to ask for advice. I came across this site trying to brush up on my knowledge of developments that would be a risk to buy in.

I would be like to know what anyone think of LeftBank Apartments at Spinningfields and the costs of those apartments. I've looked at a number of them with the possiblity to buy one to live in as we love that area of town. The duplex apartments in there are very expensive and are above £300k.

What price do posters on here feel that they are worth or what they might possibly be worth in the near future? Any replies would be really appreciated. Thankyou

The development had 1 beds for around £180k when I last went in. I assume the £300k refers to a 2 bed?

Nice apartments, bit of a sound problem (my mate who rented there could hear the upstairs couple getting cosy!).

I would expect you could probably get 20% off the original price now. In 2 years your £300k unit will probably be worth around £200k. Who knows. may be less.

bit of a sound problem (my mate who rented there could hear the upstairs couple getting cosy!).

Thanks for replying. It was a 2bed duplex flat we went to see. I'd read that persimmon or westbury or whoever built the flats had swatted up on sound proofing, whether this meant the flooring or just the walls, i know not. It would be rotten to pay any price for an apartment in there and find you could here the neighbours clearly.

By decent soundproofing i thought it absorbed impact noise such as heels hammering on the above ceilings, a problem we have at the moment in a rented council flat, but expected somewhere like leftbank to be somewhat better. Soundproofing! They can send bloody probes to Mars but cant quite master the art of thicker ceilings in flats.

Nick,

Get a bloody good valuation thats all I can say!

Also check out Rightmove for previous sale prices in the development.

Keep us posted, I would be very interested in how it develops.

I would offer at least £50-75k off the asking price and then go quiet on the owner after they refuse. Say it is your only offer.

There is plenty of choice when it comes to Manchester city centre flats so you need to drive a very hard bargin.

Good luck.

Nick,

Why not have a look at Greenquarter which when completed and the market settles reckons to be a superb development.

Nick,

Why not have a look at Greenquarter which when completed and the market settles reckons to be a superb development.

I don't like the greenquater at all. Terrible location next to Cheetham Hill Road and the addicts. Bit away from the city centre too.

I don't like the greenquater at all. Terrible location next to Cheetham Hill Road and the addicts. Bit away from the city centre too.

Maybe, but I think no matter what part of any City Centre location, you are going to endure the same prolems. I think the fact that it is part of an office scheme, hotel and leisure complex etc, might give it some credibility

Has anyone here secured a large discount off a Manchester city centre apartment in the last 3 months?

Anyone know the typical fall in the city centre over the past few months?

Got to admit i'm not a fan of the the area near where Wallpaperland was (or is, if its still there - i've not been up that way for a while). We cut through Spinningfields area most nights to either nip to cashline or cut through up to Tesco and it's always feels lovely and quiet round there, one of the reasons why we fancied that block. The communal areas are well kept and the apartments inside were pretty good, a deciding factor would be how well sound proofed they are and if the sound doesn't travel as clearly through ceilings and walls as clearly as the flat we're in now where we've had some rotten experiences, what with ringledman saying his mate could here the neighbours playing tiddlywinks .

Found out what the service charges were in there the other day. Jeez. Are service charges always a fixed price or are people allowed a discount if they hoover their own landings :)

Service Charges are fixed -- once a person owns an apartment the service charge is payable. And if not paid the sale of a property can be witheld until all monies owed are discharged. And the charge varies normally each year -- goes up like most things in life.

If you are looking for a soundproof property, its the newer type with concrete floors or the est job. No point in purchasing a property with wooden floors overhead and expect to e free of noise. It won't happen.

Hi.

In 2006 I purchased two apartments in the clock tower Eccles new road Salford Manchester, a 1 bed for 98K + 5k furnishing and a 2 bed for 112K + 5K furnishing I took completion on them 6 weeks ago and I havn't found a tenant yet. Can anyone give me their view on the building and the area?

Back