MBNA Security query

DaveD

I had reason to ring MBNA the other day and answered all the usual security questions. However the supervisor who I eventually spoke with had to check some details and promised to call me back. She did this within 10 minutes but said before discussing my account I would have to answer one of their security questions, my mothers maiden name in this case. Is this not incredibly bad security practice? Scammers are known to cold call people asking for personal details, so why can't a scammer call one week asking a security question which you answer, call again with a different security question and soon have all the answers?

I mentioned this to the MBNA rep and she agreed it was poor practice but it had never really occurred to her before and said it was company policy. Now, I knew she was who she was claiming to be but someone else from their "fraud department" could easily have called to deal with my query.

Anyone else have this experience with MBNA and is it really their policy to ring you and ask security questions?

Back