Mayfield Cork - whats it like

thejuggler

Whats Mayfield like to live in? I am looking at a property there at present. I know there is a lot of local authority housing in the area and it had a bit of a reputation years ago. Just wondering how things are now.

It is a "mixed" area but there are lovely parts to it, and parts with really good community spirit. lts has lots of mature areas which have no problems at all. It borders Montenotte - one of the nicest parts of Cork city to live in and if the house is on this side of Mayfield then it could be a good buy. Some parts of Mayfield would be within walking distance of the city centre too which is a great bonus. I would recommend sitting in your car at the weekend close to the house and seeing what level of activity there is around it.

Whats Mayfield like to live in? I am looking at a property there at present. I know there is a lot of local authority housing in the area and it had a bit of a reputation years ago. Just wondering how things are now.
whats the address....my mother lives there and is plagued by kids throwing rocks at the house

This came up in conversation only yesterday. People I know who are from there openly admit that it's fine - if you're originally from there.
If not then it's not going to be so easy to fit in, and worse again if you have children as there is an element who actively seek out those who are 'different' to bully.

True I know there was a story in the media recently about a girl who was driven to suicide by bullying from her classmates in the area so I am a bit wary.

Its amazing how Montenotte is beside Mayfield and yet has such a good reputation.

I'll have a look around the area at night at the weekend and see what its like

Mayfield is a pretty big suburb which stretches from Dillons Cross to Banduff and from Silversprings to The Glen.

What part of Mayfield are you looking at?

in cork this would be regarded as the old mayfield ...maybe some of the houses are now rented but overall would be regarded as a settled and nice place.

A house near St. Josephs Chruch is fine. The area is great, bus service, schools, shops, pubs, are all good, and you could even walk into town. (the walk back will get you) It is a very well settled area.

Back