(mature student help!) entitled to anything..at all?

S

speaktofrank

Ok this is complicated, I am 28 years old I did a B.A degree 97-01 in an Irish university.
problem is I discovered a B.A Special ( one honours and one pass subject)was not worth much in real life. so after spending 3 years in France I am now back and since my pass subject was originally in French I decided to go back to college do do Honours in that.
I am working full time at the moment trying to pay for my fees (€1800 and student top up of €853)
problem is I need to stop working full time to maximise study time but if I am not entitled to anything how can I afford to? i am a year too early for the back to school 5 year gap or whatever.
I dont want a lot just to cover weekly rent and food.
can i go on umemployment benefit even though I am techinally a student, it is a full time course but since i am only doing one subject it amounts to 7 hours of lectures per week.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Frank

can i go on umemployment benefit even though I am techinally a student
You can only claim Unemployment Benefit/Assistance if you are genuinely available for and seeking work. In addition UB is PRSI linked while UA is means tested.

Can you not get a student loan to be repaid when you finish and start working?

Thanks Clubman, I have never been on UB before, its just if I dont work I dont know how I will be able to survive until June. I suppose I could take out a loan. I have paid over €1000 in tax since coming back to Ireland. Any chance of getting that back?

Back