Mature student entitlements

asking7

Since I finished university in 2005, where I spent 3 years studying textile design, I have been continuously working in a few different jobs.
I am now contemplating applying to do a PGCE (1 year), which will enable me to teach post primary education. While at college I was supported by a grant for 3 years.

If I decide to go back to complete a PGCE, am I entitled to any grants or any other financial help from the state?

As far as i know your entitled to a grant based on last years p60 if you were over 23 on the 1st of jan this year, if not it goes by your parents.

I forgot to mention in the original comment, that I'm married and my husband works as a software developer (€40000 p/a).

Am I still eligible for a grant/financial support from the state....
Would I be means tested?

I would imagine so. You'd have to contact the DES to establish the current means test levels and other criteria. I notice you use the term PGCE, rather than H.Dip — if you're talking about applying to a college in the UK, I don't think you can get a grant for that.

[broken link removed] might be a useful place to post this query, too?

you probally wouldn't be entitled to a grant then they'd take your husbands income into account but as a family if you gave up work you may be entitled to fis. depends on your husbands pay after tax and how mant kids you have.

Back