maternity benefit entitlement

Swpb08

Hi I was claiming a short working week last yr and year before in the summer months so worked 2/3 days and claimed rest of the week. Worked 5 days rest of the year. This went on for 5/6 months. Baby due in aug, does anyone know if I am entitled to Mat benefit still ?

Hi,
You probably are entitled. Here are the rules:
If you are employed you must have:

1. At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave
Or

2. At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year following that is 2015.
Or

3. At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year before that is 2013.

Do you meet any of the criteria above? I'd imagine you probably at least meet number 3 but I don't know your full employment history.
There are more specific details available at citizens imformation website, do a search under Maternity Benefit. Sorry, I can't post a link in here just yet.

Hi,
You probably are entitled. Here are the rules:
If you are employed you must have:

1. At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave
Or

2. At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year following that is 2015.
Or

3. At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2016, the relevant tax year is 2014 and the year before that is 2013.

Do you meet any of the criteria above? I'd imagine you probably at least meet number 3 but I don't know your full employment history.
There are more specific details available at citizens imformation website, do a search under Maternity Benefit. Sorry, I can't post a link in here just yet.

Thank you for the reply. Very imformative.

Back