Marriage Proposal

HI all,

My turn now to propose
I am planning a surprise trip away(to a european City)not Paris with my gf.
We've been dating 6 years so its due.

My question is:
When is the best time to propose at a meal? Before / During / After main meal etc??

I think i'll be a little bit nervous but also want to do it the old style- down on one knee..Dont want it brought out with dessert on a plate.

PS
I also think it is a great gesture of respect to her family to ask her fathers permission, however old school it is.

Cheers

Nervous Dub

HI all,

My turn now to propose
I am planning a surprise trip away(to a european City)not Paris with my gf.
We've been dating 6 years so its due.

My question is:
When is the best time to propose at a meal? Before / During / After main meal etc??

I think i'll be a little bit nervous but also want to do it the old style- down on one knee..Dont want it brought out with dessert on a plate.

PS
I also think it is a great gesture of respect to her family to ask her fathers permission, however old school it is.

Cheers

Nervous Dub

I had planned to ask after the meal, but I couldn't wait! Just as I popped out the ring, the waiter put 2 menus in front of us (literally inches from the ring) and proclaimed "perhaps not a good time!" It was hilarious.

How are you going to avoid your fiance-to-be getting suspicious or wondering if you going to propose? I found this quite difficult I must say!

My question is:

Just to offer a female point of view - have a drink before the meal and do it then - and when she accepts youll have a lovely excited dinner together making plans and being all romantic :)

That would be just my luck as well firefly

I dont know how i am going to keep it a sercet/surprise as i plan to tell her were gonig away for a few days, the week before we do.
Its been a joke for a while anytime we've had a trip/romantic meal we would say aah you forget the ring again etc etc...

Maybe she will assume i will ask on the trip as we've been talking about it.

Its Barcelona we are going to and just wanted to do it there, so everytime she'd her the name she'd remember thats were we got engaged rather than some random cafe in Dublin City

I am in two minds weather to do it before the trip or not.???

Any way you could blag that you have to be there...like a work trip/conference? That way you could say your employer is paying for flight and accom and you'd only have to buy your GF a ticket to avail of this jolly. Arrange to meet her somewhere special for lunch and have a traditional musician appear and play her favourite song as you just happen to swing by...??

It is ok to bring the ring on as hand luggage in the bag(Silly question I no) I dont want her to come across it if I get screwed at the checks ??

However many people view it as a quaint tradition ; only you know what your partner's view is likely to be. If she is likely to be pleased by it, I certainly don't think it's any less appropriate to ask the mother if the father is deceased.
I'd go along with that. My own father had said it was outdated and my parents got married 40 years ago!

That said, I felt it would be a nice thing to do. I didn't feel I should or I had to. I just wanted to.

So if you do want to do it, I'd ask her mother.

Back