Management co listed for strike off by the cro.

Re: Management co listed for strke off

Would the owners of the rented houses approve of the company being struck off?

Probably not, but how can we contact the owners? The only way would be through the Management Agent, and they are being less than helpful.

I guess NAMA will own a chunk of it soon anyway, so maybe Brian Lenihan will be voting with us!

Well if the company is struck off Brian Lenihan will own the whole lot.

Ignore the management agent. The Company Secretary will have the names and addresses of all the members. Notice of an EGM would have to be sent to them any ways. The would most likely want their vote counted.

When was the status of the company changed to strike off listed?

The company secretary must have a register of all the members of the company (CRO as well?). It is part of the role of the company secretary to communicate with the members on behalf of the membership as a whole and the directors (who may not necessarily be members).

Last edited:

I'm just looking through the CRO docs now. The director in question is also the company secretary. The Director of Corporate Enforcements Office tells me that no further action will be taken until mid-May

I agree. This situation needs to be professionally handled and dealt with quickly.

My solicitor is working on this anyway, I'll follow her advice

Thanks for your help, everyone. If anyone has any further ideas, feel free to let me know!

Contact the directors directly. Get the names from CRO or get your solicitor to request it from the management agent. Management agent may respond better to a solicitor. Go directly to the unit owned by the director and talk to them if they are there, if they are rented, ask the tenant if they have a contact phone number.

Put a request in writing to the management agent to request the management company to schedule an AGM to discuss and explain the current status of the company. Send this as a registered letter.

Put a letter in an envelope to each of the post boxes in the development addressed to the owner making the owners aware that the company is listed for strike off and that significant costs will be incurred by each owner who may be also be unable to sell their units for a number of years if the company is struck off.

In a fair world you should not have to do all this work but unfortunately management companies are a collection of people, most or all of whom choose to assume that someone else will look after the company.

This is a very serious matter and cannot be solved by one owner/shareholder.
There will be costs involved and the sooner all owners/shareholder meet and have proper legal advice and a plan of action the better.

This is going to be a very common occurrence with apartment owners because Irish owners have not grasped the idea that they are all shareholders in the Apartment Management Company and have left matters to the builders and their cronies

Well, the latest news is that the director has said he will sign off on the accounts over the weekend when he is back in the country. I know he is also a director of a few more companies, so I guess he doesnt want to get struck off as a director either. Fingers crossed!

My solicitor has already written to the management agent to put pressure on them. She is waiting to get the title deeds today which should give details of the director's solicitor and she will write to him also.

JohnJay,

Sounds like you are getting on top of the situation.
I suggest you get hold of Robert Gogan's books on apartments which has been recommended at the top of the forum. I've no affiliation but it filled in a lot of gaps in easy terms for me when I first bought my place.

Purpeller

not sure if this has been posted already, but another good read is [broken link removed]by the ODCE

Back