Macbook or Dell Inspiron?

I wouldn't trust them, although they may have messed up the drive by this stage anyway. If it were me, I'd still try connecting the drive externally to another PC. Also if it's 'backup' you want then just burning DVDs on a semi-regular basis may be a better option than an external drive.

Last edited:
Thanks but that's not a runner as the laptop won't power on past the start up screen.
First thing I'd do in such case is to remove the battery in case that is causing the problem. If not a battery issue then second thing would be to try booting the machine from CD (Linux Live CD, can be downloaded or probably get one on the front of a Linux Magazine). If it boots then the issue is probably either a physical problem with the harddisk or an OS issue.

I too am sick of windows based laptops that seem to start acting funny and malfunction, with regular blue screens and physical memory dumps, after around 18 months. I have had it in with a repair shop, who said it was fixed, but still not reliable.

I am not sure whether I am totally jinxed, incompetent, or am having a typical experience of laptops.

I am debating buying a macbook, as I feel the initial outlay may be compensated for with better longevity.

Do people have an opinion on this? Do apples last longer and function more reliably?

No, I've have 4 laptops in recent years personal and company supplied (IBM & Dell) all of which have lasted more than 2 years in constant use (as desktop replacements) and all still running - 2 of the company ones have been passed down the line to others who are using them full time without problems.

I used to have Dell laptops, but switched to the Mac.

Yes - you pay more for the Mac, but the build quality is fantastic and it is a pleasure to use.

I picked up my Mac on the refurb store for about 30% less than I would have paid for the same model new.

If you're looking for software and peripherals they're a lot cheaper in the Apple stores in the US, so if you're going over or know someone who is you can pick up stuff for a fraction of the price you'd pay here.

I too am sick of windows based laptops that seem to start acting funny and malfunction, with regular blue screens and physical memory dumps, after around 18 months. ...?

I think you need to be specific about what the problem is.

...I am debating buying a macbook, as I feel the initial outlay may be compensated for with better longevity.

Do people have an opinion on this? Do apples last longer and function more reliably?
As a Mac user for nearly 20 years, I would have to support the longevity and reliability of their desktops, laptops and software coupled with the other innovative, well-engineered products they provide.

The message is spreading - my daughter has two, my ex has one, my sister has one. my brother has two and two of my "hand-me-downs" are now in the hands of computer novices who are learning about the quality user-experience that Apple provides.

A very satisfied customer.

I'm a Mac user for 20yrs too and I reckon. Apple provide the best customer service a class action can provide. That is they will often ignore a problem until a class action makes them fix it. Often then only in the US.

TBH Usually they are pretty good. But they do have manufacturing faults from time to time, just like any other manufacturer. Apple forums are full of such issues, so they are not imune to issues. Lets be realistic most of the hardware is the same these days, so they'll be effected like anyone else.

Back