M41; Looking for advice on how to better put my savings to use and make some more

moneymatters20

Background: M - 41 - No children (and not sure I want to have partly because of the finances needed) - Steady girlfriend - Live by myself - Advanced degree holder in STEM and currently working in academic research - Living in Dublin.

Spouse’s/Partner's age: N/A

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 50,000
Annual gross income of spouse: N/A

Monthly take-home pay: 2850

Type of employment: e.g. Civil Servant, self-employed : Civil.

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

SAVING around 400-500 a month

Rough estimate of value of home: N/A
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: N/a
What interest rate are you paying?

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc:
N/A

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? : YES
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Savings and investments: 30K

Do you have a pension scheme? : Working in University hence covered by Public pension.

Do you own any investment or other property? : NO

Ages of children: N/A

Life insurance: N/a

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

I have been renting for 950 a month a small studio. Am a bit frustrated with the cost of living in Dublin. Rents are insane and so are property prices. Taxes are high and quality for money is crap. Wondering what path to take when it comes to investment. In Ireland real estate seems to the only option as the taxes on trading are very high (not a pro on this but i read online that its very hard to make money investing in stocks and so in Ireland).

Any advice/any options you guys can recommend for the bottom line; how can I invest or make more money. Investing in stocks? Investing abroad? Get a house?

Back