Lump sum payment - will bank accept it?

Why do you think all those people get charged and convicted all the time for allowing their accounts to be used for money laundering so?
True that, but for some reason I thought these guys be using the Cayman Islands or something, not AIB down the road!
Reason I ask is that I'll be putting together lump sums from different banks into one, readying for transfer to solicitor for buying a property, so should I expect to be getting dinged left, right and centre?

Nope…just be ready to answer questions?

“Why are you asking?” or the like is just inviting trouble.

Invariably, a provider just needs a reasonable answer for its file.

For example, I’ve had queries from Revolut and so have my friends about monies moving around between us for things.

You answer, that’s the end of it, you don’t, and your account probably gets frozen.

Nope…just be ready to answer questions?

“Why are you asking?” or the like is just inviting trouble.

Invariably, a provider just needs a reasonable answer for its file.

For example, I’ve had queries from Revolut and so have my friends about monies moving around between us for things.

You answer, that’s the end of it, you don’t, and your account probably gets frozen.
OK, so once bank is satisfied funds are for a house purchase by rights I shouldn't have the Guards knocking on my door. This post had me worried tbh!

True that, but for some reason I thought these guys be using the Cayman Islands or something, not AIB down the road!

The whole idea of money laundering is to make suspicious money look legitimate. If launderers are messing around with accounts in the Cayman Islands or some other random far-flung territories, it's going to look as suspicious as hell. So of course they'll target high street banks.

OK, so once bank is satisfied funds are for a house purchase by rights I shouldn't have the Guards knocking on my door. This post had me worried tbh!
It isn't what the funds are for but how you got them. So, if the money is coming from somewhere like DeGiro where you had shares that you sold, then you would just tell them that.

It isn't what the funds are for but how you got them. So, if the money is coming from somewhere like DeGiro where you had shares that you sold, then you would just tell them that.
Ah OK I get you now. In my case it's moving savings from a few different bank accounts into one lump sum for a house purchase, but thinking now I might be better off just forwarding various amounts straight to the solicitor instead to save hassle since it seems AIB will only let me transfer over 5k a day in dribs and drabs anyway!

Ah OK I get you now. In my case it's moving savings from a few different bank accounts into one lump sum for a house purchase, but thinking now I might be better off just forwarding various amounts straight to the solicitor instead to save hassle since it seems AIB will only let me transfer over 5k a day in dribs and drabs anyway!
You can probably transfer more than 5k if you go into a branch but yeah if I was you I would just transfer to your solicitor straight instead of going through your AIB account

I shouldn't have the Guards knocking on my door. This post had me worried tbh

I don't get frustrated a lot, but when Joe or Mary public gets nervous about normal every day procedures, and have concerns about Guards arriving at their door, what kind of land are we living in.

You do something wrong, the Guards/Revenue etc should come a knocking...
When you don't, you shouldn't have the anxiety that it brings.

Striking fear into decent hard working public is not right.

Id hate to live in a world where you have to question your motives for fear of such reprisals. When we have to do that, there is something wrong with the way authority that governs this proceeds.

I don't get frustrated a lot, but when Joe or Mary public gets nervous about normal every day procedures, and have concerns about Guards arriving at their door, what kind of land are we living in.
A land that includes some people that are a bit paranoid and grossly overestimate the risks of falling foul of officialdom? The chances of the Gardaí knocking on one's door because of the lodgement of a large sum of money are practically zero - unless the money is dodgy, in which case, more power to them.

Last edited:
A land that includes some people that are a bit paranoid and grossly overestimate the risks of falling foul of officialdom?
Well ‘‘twas not all that long ago they were blocking the roads to ensure we stayed within 2km of our houses so who’d blame the OP for that!

Well ‘‘twas not all that long ago they were blocking the roads to ensure we stayed within 2km of our houses so who’d blame the OP for that!
During a deadly global pandemic.
What has that got to do with some punter lodging a large sum to their bank?
Only a conspiracy theorist would see a link and a problem with the way that the pandemic was handled.

Back