LPT: PAYE Workers to have property tax taken from wages.

I think that whatever chance the property charge has of working it will have to be based on the value of the property. This will be very difficult to enforce as will every other system. Some people think site value is a solution but if the property on which the site is on is low so is the value of the site. If the house is going to be assessed according to value surely there is no better way of valuing than by looking at the most recent prices achieved in an estate. There are huge no of problems with pricing one off houses etc. I feel it is going to be a nightmare to sort out.

Joan Burton has said that a compulsory deduction of property tax from welfare payments would be difficult.

Joan Burton has said that a compulsory deduction of property tax from welfare payments would be difficult.

I notice Joan Burton also said that older people could delay paying the property tax until they were dead.

Given the state of the health service they probably wont have to wait to long to collect.

Maybe you are better off on the dole afterall?

The dole is totally unfair and after the initial year punishes people who have contributed to society and saved some money, while rewarding those who squandered anything they ever earned.

No surprise that workers are once again to be punished. No doubt the new property tax will have exemptions for people in social housing.

Maybe you are better off on the dole afterall?

A dreadful thought, but there is definitely something in it. I'm not suggesting that it all smells of roses but there sure seems to be a lot of people who have a career on it.

I remember being made redundant around 2002 - by week 7, I was screaming to get back to work. Not from a financial stand point, but to keep my brain working.

Dreading hearing details of the property tax tomorrow....... and the other cuts too. Am just about scraping by (had to retire due to serious illness). Have 2 young kids. On interest only mortgage as can't pay any more so don't know how we are going to find the money to pay this new tax. Our childrens allowance goes off the mortgage as it is.

I see there is a legal challenge ongoing,

What is amazing is all this discussion around valuations, was the value not always 5 times the annual rent?

Is this valuation discussion not a red herring and a distraction from the real issue?

The legal challenge is to the household charge - has the LPT even been enacted yet? Maybe there'll be a legal challenge to it also, but I think your post is the red herring, one way or another property tax is coming.

The legal challenge is to the household charge
Yes and it appears to challenge the legality of the "failure to declare" rather than the failure to acutally pay the HC.

Anyway its a moot point now as the revenue will be collecting the new LPT and well see how far the guys in Mayo will get if they "fail to declare" to revenue.

Back