Lost our accountant - what to do?

onekeano

I set up a company about 4-5 years ago which traded successfully on a small scale. For this little enterprise I secured the services of an accountant through Askaboutmoney. We had a turnover of about €500k p.a. and we were very happy with the service of our accountant who we had a very positive informal working relationship with.

In the middle of last year we realised it was time to take a break and our accountant advised making the company dormant rather than closing it. We were happy to go with that advice and asked him to proceed. We didn't hear from him for a while and assumed he was busy doing stuff for last Octobers returns. Then I got a note from Revenue saying there was no CT1 (think that was it) for 2007 which came as a surprise.

I tried contacting the accountant, since then there has been other correspondence from Revenue and today I received a Final Demand (not big money) "for payment within 7 days...." otherwise the will be consequences Court Proceedings etc etc. To the very best of my knowledge we owe revenue nothing but this was triggered by a lack of response to previous paperwork from our accountant.

I am lost as to how to proceed - the accountant is basically incommunicado for some really bizarre reason (we got on very well with him, we would have met with him at his home and in our own homes, every time we got an invoice from him we paid immediatley AND most importantly he provided very good advice to us). We have tried leaving messages on his mobile, his landline and several emails. I know he has received them but for some reason unknown to us will not respond.

Any advice would be appreiciated as to how to progress this matter.

Roy

I would imagine that a face to face with the accountant would be the starting point. If, for some reason he does not wish to continue acting for the company then this should be established and someone else appointed so that all outstanding returns can be submitted. Most importantly here is to ensure that all CRO returns are submitted as Revenue aside, if the company is audit exempt and does not submit on time then loss of audit exemption can be very costly. My advice, get into car and GO SEE HIM STAT.

hi
phone up the revenue tell them your story and who your accountant was, they will make a note on your file and possibly advise you how to proceed .

Contact his regulatory body (ICAI?) and see if they know if he is still practicing.

There are other regulatory bodies apart from ICAI. I assume that the OP has some letterhead from previous correspondence and to be honest I'd think that contacting the accountant to be the best course of action. His Institute might have little interest unless there is a negligence or mal practice issue involved.

hi
phone up the revenue tell them your story and who your accountant was, they will make a note on your file and possibly advise you how to proceed .

Revenue have no/little interest in the relationship between a taxpayer and their agent. The taxpayer is solely responsible for their returns to Revenue whether they have an agent or not.

I must have a very understanding tax office because i have done exactly what I suggested when i received a final demand in similar circumstances and received no futher letters of them,There a number on the letter for you to contact them on as well.It allowed me the time to appoint another accountant.

Dead or otherwise, ( the accountant that is ) if the taxpayer has outstanding returns then Revenue should be pursuing collection.

Dead or otherwise, ( the accountant that is ) if the taxpayer has outstanding returns then Revenue should be pursuing collection.

I think the point was thats why hes not responding. Not that its a reason for Revenue not to act.

We have tried leaving messages on his mobile, his landline and several emails. I know he has received them but for some reason unknown to us will not respond.

The OP seems to be of the belief that the accountant is certainly alive but declining to contact them. I think it's time for a knock on the door.

A few points.....

• He's definitely not dead
  • His office is about 100 miles from my home
  • I did not want to go to the overseeing body as we have ahad an excellent relationship over a number of years, having said that...
  • I have actually spoken to his prtner who is experiencing the same difficulties and has indicated other clients are expressing exactly the same problems as outselves
I received a mail yesterday saying that we would have a call today so I'm holding my breath .......

Roger

I have actually spoken to his prtner who is experiencing the same difficulties and has indicated other clients are expressing exactly the same problems as outselves

Roger

Just to clarify is that his partner in accountancy practice ? If you are a client of the practice in which there are 2 or more partners then you are a client of the practice not just of thei individual partner and I would expect the practice to look after ALL clients.

Yes it is his partner in the practice and in fairness to his partner he is just as exasperated with the situation so I don't attachany blame to him. I have received a couple of offers from other people who might be able to help me out but I'd rather exhaust all options with him first.

Roger

It sounds like there is a major problem with the missing partner. If the other partner is unable to offer reasonable service within a reasonable timeframe to ensure that your company is compliant with Revenue and CRO then it may be time to look at the other offers you have received.

Back