Looking for ideas or ways to utilize my current unrealized losses on poor stock investments

Branagjo

Hi All,
A newbie to the forum and I guess a long term newbie to stock investments.
I have been holding stock for many years, although i would not call it investing. More losing than anything else.
Not a big trader, just pretty much, buy a 1 or 2 stocks and leave it sit for many years. Hoping to see some return.
Originally had some stocks from working in IBM. Then decided to buy some BOI stocks during the crash. If i had kept the stock til now, i would have likely recovered my investment by now and maybe have made some extra gains even.
Unfortunately i did not keep them and decided to sell and invest elsewhere . Had some gains but in general lost most of my 30K (over time) investment. Now my current stock holdings are worthless. Given i have not had much luck investing, I am reluctant to start again. hence the reason for this post. I am looking for some idea's or suggestions on how I may be able to utilize my unrealized losses - approx. 30K. I am thinking along the lines of investing approx €10K in something and leave it sit there and if it makes gains, I can use my current unrealized losses to offset any CGT. The main reason being simply to try recover some of the 30K of losses, in the way of offsetting any CGT I may need..
I am open to any advise or idea's. Even if thats "Dont reinvest and just consider your 30K gone to the wind....".
I am with Degiro and a very inactive user. I tend to buy one or 2 stock and leave them sit there for years. been a few years inactive now at this stage too.
I was looking at ETF but then i read in this forum that if domiciled in Ireland, then that seems to be 41% tax and not CGT. So I guess EFT's are not an option then if i am looking to offset CGT?.
So would appreciate any advise you might have.

Back