Looking for Bank account with these features...

D

DesG

Hi,

I hope someone on here can help me out, I have been searching these forums, and browsing the different bank websites, but cannot find clear answers to the questions I have.

I want to get an account set up which has the following features, or as many of the following features as possible.

1. Cirrus ATM card supplied to withdraw Euros in Ireland and Eurozone without fees.
2. No chequebook (Don't want to pay the government a fee)
3. No laser card (see above)
4. Ability to make Euro payments to any account in the Eurozone without visiting a branch. Phone, website, email all ok.
5. No account maintenance fee
6. No fees, or as few fees as possible for normal transactions.
7. no minimum monthly lodgement requirement.

I saw mention in some old threads about abn ambro a dutch bank, but I don't really want to go to those lengths, unless there is no local option.

Anyone any experience?

Cheers, Des.

Do the likes of PTSB and NIB (and maybe others) who offer free current account banking not offer all of these features/options?

IFSRA publish good cost surveys...perhaps you might find this [broken link removed] useful.

NIB's Freedom and Easy options do come with a laser card but these days the stamp duty for both are almost the same.
You can make euro transfers but there may be a fee, you just need the IBAN number.
The banking is fee free - if you don't take a cheque book you don't pay for it.

Would guess that the PTSB offering is similar if not almost the same. Can't tell you anything about their online services as I haven't banked with them for many years.

You'll pay €10 stamp duty for an ATM card, €10 for a Laser card and €20 for a joint card. Some banks won't offer you Laser unless you have salary paid in OR have banked with them for a while, so may be easy to just get ATM card.

On making transfers to accounts in other euro countries, not sure if you can do this by electronic banking. have not come across this before as you have to fill in the interpay form in-branch.

newbie said:
IFSRA publish good cost surveys...perhaps you might find this [broken link removed] useful.

Hi Thanks for that, I had found that in my search, but it seems to be out of date, mainly with regard to NIB from reading these forums.

As regards transfers, you will need to fill out an Interpay form in person/send the request by post - something that has your signature on it. Some banks will accept fax if they know you as long as you follow it up with the original. As far as I know, euro transfers within the euro zone are free up to €12500 - after this there is a charge.

moneyhoney said:
You'll pay €10 stamp duty for an ATM card, €10 for a Laser card and €20 for a joint card. Some banks won't offer you Laser unless you have salary paid in OR have banked with them for a while, so may be easy to just get ATM card.

Thanks, I didn't realise there was stamp duty on the ATM card.

moneyhoney said:
On making transfers to accounts in other euro countries, not sure if you can do this by electronic banking. have not come across this before as you have to fill in the interpay form in-branch.

That is just so 20th century ;) So there are no banks in Ireland that allow you to do an intra-eurozone transfer online then? That is probably the only feature on my list that isn't negotiable.

I know at least ABN does allow this, so that may be my only option :(

DesG said:
So there are no banks in Ireland that allow you to do an intra-eurozone transfer online then? That is probably the only feature on my list that isn't negotiable.

I am pretty sure AIB Business Banking does

It might also be worth checking out AIB. Free banking is subject to having an"AIB Debit Card. All you have to do, in each fee quarter, is make a purchase with your AIB Debit Card AND use AIB Phone & Internet Banking to make a debit transaction, like paying a bill." . Also with regards to Europayments "You can transfer funds online between your own accounts, to 3rd party accounts in AIB and other banks in the Republic of Ireland, make one-off-transfers and pay money abroad using our suite of International Payments." As far as i am aware, once you have an online account you apply for unique code card that allows you then to transfer money as above. Info found on [broken link removed]

bambino said:
I've done eurozone transfers on my ebanking, no form filling, just need BIC & IBAN.

Is that with AIB as mentioned by Newbie above?

newbie said:
It might also be worth checking out AIB. Free banking is subject to having an"AIB Debit Card. ... As far as i am aware, once you have an online account you apply for unique code card that allows you then to transfer money as above.

That sounds great, a bit fiddly getting the free banking, but sounds like what I am after.

No NIB. And have to say it's a very simple process, as it was eurozone and not for a huge amt the cost was very little (can't remember exactly what!)

OK, so we have narrowed it down to 2 options, AIB and NIB as only those 2 support online intra-eurozone payments.

Both are fee-free-ish, can anyone confirm the following fees in real life for AIB and NIB.

Fee for ATM withdrawal in Euro zone. AIB-20c NIB-??

Cost of online intra-eurozone IBAN transfer. AIB-?? NIB-23c/50c/€4.74 - I have seen all 3 figures quoted on here.

Cheers, Des.

Is PTSB not also an option and they don't charge transaction fees? You can certainly have external accounts set up on your online banking (you need to call customer support to get them set up initially) and I assume that these can include BIC/IBAN/SWIFT details. One caveat is that transfers to external accounts seem to be like bill payments and can take a few days to clear.

if all the details are correct it's 50c for eurozone transfers. If using your maestro card eurozone laser & atm transactions are free. (this might depend on a/c type though)

ClubMan said:
Is PTSB not also an option and they don't charge transaction fees? You can certainly have external accounts set up on your online banking (you need to call customer support to get them set up initially) and I assume that these can include BIC/IBAN/SWIFT details. One caveat is that transfers to external accounts seem to be like bill payments and can take a few days to clear.

PTSB charge 50c for eurozone IBAN payments under €50K according to their T&C's

The few days transfer time isn't an issue for me, but thanks for mentioning it!

It is the requirement to phone up and set it up that knocks it out of the running really. Plus, no-one has confirmed that it definitely works ;)

Cheers, Des.

bambino said:
if all the details are correct it's 50c for eurozone transfers. If using your maestro card eurozone laser & atm transactions are free. (this might depend on a/c type though)

I did see mention of a penalty if you got the IBAN wrong, but can't see this mentioned on their website, do you know how much the penalty is?

Thanks for the info on eurozone purchases and ATM transactions.

Cheers, Des.

Just want to confirm that the eurozone paying with PTSB works fine, and after initial setup is trouble free....

Back