Looking for advice on poor windows installation

mir2001

Hi all, looking for advice on a serious issue with new triple glazed windows installed a week ago. I had to pay COD but held back a small amount (5% of total price) as I was told I wouldn't get the documentation for another week. I wasn't very pleased with the finish of some windows - silicone still sticky/soft a week later, very uneven at times, and had small holes in some places. But I thought I would wait until the documentation came through to raise the silicone issue. When the documentation came through yesterday I was totally shocked. One of the main reasons I went with this guy was that he could supply 0.8/0.9 U values in uPCV windows. The documentation instead showed that the windows were a mix of 1/1.1 while the French door that should have been 0.9 was 1.2

I should explain that getting a low U value was critical to me because I am having a heat pump and external insulation installed in a few weeks and a lower U value was important to keeping the heat loss indicator down (and qualifying for the grant). It would also help energy costs.

When I talked to him, he told me that he forgot to specify the U value (to the factory) on the windows that had a U value of 1 and that the others had to be changed to heavier frames and he just hadn't realised this would impact the U value. I'm not quite sure why the door is a different value.

Right now he is offering to replace the glass in the three windows with a U value of 1 in order to get them to a 0.9 (they were to be 0.8) but this will apparently leave them with a B rating because of solar gain which doesn't sound right to me. And he is offering to allow me to keep the 5 % as a compensation for the others. I feel this isn't good enough by far. I would ask him to start all over again but I am stuck with the follow on insulation work in a few weeks.

Wondering what others would do in this situation. I am utterly dismayed by this outcome and find it hard to believe that every single window has the wrong U over a series of unfortunate events. Would be very grateful for any feedback on this.

Last edited:
Get him too take them
Back out and replace with the ones you ordered.
Push the insulation guy off explaining the situation you find yourself in now.

Get him too take them
Back out and replace with the ones you ordered.
Push the insulation guy off explaining the situation you find yourself in now.
Thanks for the reply, my big concern with pushing the insulation guy out is that the price might increase if there are any further material/ labour hikes.

I agree with @Pinoy adventure above. You have not received the product you ordered.
Not only is the 0.8w/m2k Uvalue important for your HLI/grant but also it is critical for your comfort (radiation effect).
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
Do you think this would add a substantial amount to my annual electricity bills?

This guy has really good ratings on Google and I did read through the review contents and didn't feel like it was contrived.
I have now also realised the door is a B rating when the initial email stated it would be A rated.
And I think the glass is 40mm rather than 44, again as agreed.

I have to admit the thoughts of waiting another three months is really depressing right now. And the insulation company are all ready to go in about 2 weeks so no idea how feasible it is to get this put on hold now.

Yes you would have a higher bill all right.
Call the insulation company and explain,it will be a pain for you & them but it’s the right thing too do while you get your doors and windows sorted.

To me whether a door or window is A, B or Z rated is meaningless. It is the quoted U and g values which are important.
By keeping what is installed you risk not qualifying for the hp grant, likely higher bills (good windows installed poorly are just as bad or worse than poor windows installed well!) and lower comfort levels. While it may be depressing to wait to get it right, you will be looking at these windows / doors and paying for your energy for a lot longer!
If you choose to proceed with what's there then at least check first that you will qualify for the hp grant.

Back