Long delays in settlement of an estate

mpax23

Hi there, I am a UK resident beneficiary of my late Uncle's Irish estate (my father was explicitly named in his Will as a residual beneficiary, but he has since passed away in 2021 and I am the executor)

My uncle passed away in October 2017 and as yet, the estate is not settled. Probate was granted in Ireland in 2019, and there was an asset allegedly identified in the UK for which probate was being sought. I can find no evidence in UK public record that the probate has been granted.

A solicitors firm in Cork is the representative of the Executors, and communicates with me very infrequently. As of now I have an identification number with the Irish Revenue for filing and paying IHT and an account set up on the system.

My complaint here is the amount of time that the administration is taking (almost 6 years) and it's a significant amount.

I've regularly written and asked for updates and I've also asked for an interim distribution and a statement of account - these questions are largely ignored, and I get a fairly generic response, and non deterministic timescales - "probate is still being sought for the asset in the UK", which has been allegedly the case for 2 years.

It has been almost 6 years since death which I find entirely unreasonable in terms of timescales to administer this estate (which outside the UK asset which is a simple bank account, is not complex) - it smells of incompetence, or at worst, malfeasance on behalf of the Executors with respect to the interests of the estate and the beneficiaries.

I understand beneficiaries have limited rights of access to information. Maybe even less since I'm outside Ireland. I would appreciate some advice on the next best step beyond writing and asking for updates which gets ignored.

I would have thought your first port of call is the Executor and not the solicitors, the solicitor may have a reluctance to share information to one benificiary

What is the asset in the UK, property or bank account or something else?

Back