Loaned money to a friend but can't get it back - any ideas

Re: Loaned money to a friend but can't get it back - any idea's

it happened me before with a cousin..
send them a postcard to their parents home address as well as their own address stating the loan amount etc....it will really upset them as all their family will then know about the loan as everyone reads postcards when they arrive in the post

Both previous suggestions are potential defamation of her character and actionable by her.

so what...

it worked for me...his father paid the loan

so what...

it worked for me...his father paid the loan
Well they probably could have sued you for defamation so encouraging others to take a similar approach is hardly good advice? I can't believe some of the other hare brained suggestions in this thread which are totally off the wall and far from prudent recommendations...

Take Vanilla's sound advice and ignore these ridiculous suggestions.
Personally I think your brother is at fault and should repay you the money and try and get it back himself...it's through him you know this person who may be punishing you for some grievance she has with him.
Alternatively, you could put it down to bad experience and learn from the mistake. You'll only let yourself down by creating scenes in public and increase your own stress levels.

By the way, welcome back Clubman...tanned and relaxed?

i still say contact the landlord and look to stay in the aparment to get your money's worth..

suggestions are suggestions and this being an open form we are quiet entitled i feel to post them.. i have defamed nobody as far as i can see and if the op wants to take my suggestions on board then obviously they are free to do so but obvious;y with caution

suggestions are suggestions and this being an open form we are quiet entitled i feel to post them.. i have defamed nobody as far as i can see and if the op wants to take my suggestions on board then obviously they are free to do so but obvious;y with caution

No-we have a policy that suggesting actions that are illegal (e.g. tax evasion, criminal damage etc.) will not be tolerated as this serves to undermine Askaboutmoney's reputation for quality advice and information.

There are plenty of other sites with an 'anything goes' policy.

i did not suggest anything illegal

Illegal/Defamatry/Foolish...whichever it is it serves no purpose, will only aggrevate the situation and adds nothing to the discussion on how the OP should proceed.

I was making the point that not all suggestions would be allowed to stand.

Anyway, if anyone has useful, practical, sensible advice for the OP let's hear it.

I'm sure the OP has some common sense to realise that a few of the comments made were only a joke!.

I agree with some of the suggestions that were make ie. wait till June and see if she comes back to you! I also think that it's now difficult for your brother to get the money for you, even though I would see it as his responsibility! I think we all know that if you owe someone that amount of your hardly likely to forget, so if she doesn't make contact try ringing her first! But you know what type of person she is, is she likely to pay you with gentle persuasion, or not pay then take legal action!

Good luck
C

Has she a car ? A bag of sugar into the fuel tank would sort her out...

unless she drives a classic car you'll find that the cap has a lock on it
(also don't mess with peoples cars)

Send a solicitors letter but then put it down to a lesson learned.
Best advise above.

I would write her a letter first outlining that the loan was made in good faith and managing her expectations that you expect the loan to be repaid as originally agreed and if she reneges on her commitments you will reluctantly resort to a legal route to recoup your monies, then, if she doesn't comply, maybe get a solicitors letter sent, then write it and her off. If your brother was the conduit for the loan then he should act as guarantor and step up with the cash, he could then chase the cash and it wouldn't be your problem. Whatever happens I suppose it's a lesson learned.

What a nightmare.

What I would do, if you suspect she has 'potential', is to make contact with her again requesting (politely) the money. Record this conversation (it's easy on the telephone - a small device that attaches to the receiver). She will, more than likely, tell the truth (that she owes you the money) but still refuse to pay it.

Now you have evidence, and you can use that should you wish to take this any further (and/or circulate to her by email, Twink-style).

You should expect that she will pay up and stay within the law - you will be in deep trouble yourself otherwise.

Finally - don't ever do this again. Generosity is lovely, but protect yourself with a bit of sense at the same time ;-)

What I would do, if you suspect she has 'potential', is to make contact with her again requesting (politely) the money. Record this conversation (it's easy on the telephone - a small device that attaches to the receiver). She will, more than likely, tell the truth (that she owes you the money) but still refuse to pay it.

Now you have evidence, and you can use that should you wish to take this any further (and/or circulate to her by email, Twink-style).
Recording of calls without notifying the caller beforehand is probably illegal, and any such evidence will not stand up in any court. That's why ever call-centre warns you 'your call may be recorded for training'.

I had a similar situation a few years back. I went to my friends older brother and explained it to him. He paid back the money to save family pride.

Recording calls is not illegal if you are in a situation where someone is lying or evading the law.

Recording calls is not illegal if you are in a situation where someone is lying or evading the law.
Can you quote an authoritative source on that - e.g. the relevant legislation allowing such eavesdropping?

You actually loaned the money to your brother because you gave the money to him so when it returns it should return to you through him.
And he gave it to her. Whether he gets it back or not is really his problem.

AFAIK it is not illegal for one party to record a conversation unbeknown to the other. What would be illegal is if a third party recorded a conversation in which they are not involved. Perhaps someone here can point to relevant legislation making it illegal to record a conversation to which one is a part, or maybe an AAM legal eagle might clear this up.

Back