List: Stealth price increases at Tesco in recent days?

Mrs Liamo

Hi All,

I was in tesco last night buying the usual basics.
I wouldnt monitor prices per say, but i would generally notice a change.
Over the last few months i have noticed a few items that i buy frequently increasing in price.

What i noticed last night was a tesco ham pot...was either 75c or 85c last week, and last night it was 1.09!!

Ive also noticed a item was 1.49....or 2 for 3.50???

Has anyone elase noticed this or anything like it??

Re: Sneaky price increase in Tesco??

They do these type of things quite often - have heard quite a few radio reports about items priced cheaper if you buy them separately.

Going off on a tangent, what has happened to the price of tea?

You used to be able to get teabags in NI for around 1 bag = 1p (ie 160 bags for approx £1.60 or £1.80). Now they seem to be working out at 1.5p or even 2p per bag.

Is there a world shortage of tea?

Hi RMCF,

The world isnt shortage of tea....By the Government of Ireland you have to pay more duties and VAT then in NI/UK

Tonight noticed that Cadbury Orange Snacks bars were €1.95 last week and €2.09 this week. Pringles have gone from €1.95 to €2.49!

Hi RMCF,

The world isnt shortage of tea....By the Government of Ireland you have to pay more duties and VAT then in NI/UK
My prices were NI prices so you can't blame Cowan for this one.

"All the tea in China" must be staying there rather than flooding the market.

I'm on a panel where I scan all purchases that are made for the house, so I'm fairly up on exact prices are for the majority of my purchases.
I do a lot of my shopping with TEsco, and I would agree there have been a lot of prices creeping up over the last 6 weeks, the average increase seems to be around 10-14%. Offhand, biscuits went from 80c to 89c, ginger ale from 45c to 49c, muesli frm around Eu3.29 up to about Eu4.09.

That's the way retailers operate: they set prices so as to maximise their profits. They cut prices to win market share, and it makes sense to make as much noise as they can about those reductions. When they have the customers, they increase prices so as to increase profitability, but that would not work so well if they advertised those increases.

That's why consumers need to be alert if they want the best deals.

But let's face reality: most of us are not in a position to conduct a lot of price comparisons or to shop around. Until last year, I used to shop where there were two major supermarkets close together. I knew, at least broadly, which offered the best deals (price/quality combination) and I split my shopping accordingly, about 80% in one outlet, then a top-up in the other. I think that is about as sophisticated as most shoppers get.

yes and in supervalue also.. 1.99e for 3 small tins of tuna, they were 2.05e yesterday..my mam says also she has noticed the prices going up

I'm on a panel where I scan all purchases that are made for the house, so I'm fairly up on exact prices are for the majority of my purchases.
I do a lot of my shopping with TEsco, and I would agree there have been a lot of prices creeping up over the last 6 weeks, the average increase seems to be around 10-14%. Offhand, biscuits went from 80c to 89c, ginger ale from 45c to 49c, muesli frm around Eu3.29 up to about Eu4.09.

I only said this to the missus last night about tesco, their fresh meat prices are back to where they were before the change for good malarky .
Pistacchio nuts were 1.99 last week,this week 2.09.

Did a shop there last night and here is a few things I noticed that had changed,
Houmous went for 99c to 1.09,
they had a special on 6 tins of beans for 3.50 but also on 4 tins of beans being 1.99 but you could buy 2 for 3.50 ie buy 6 or 8 tins for the same price.
one drop I say was on a 200g jar of Nescafe gold few weeks they did a special of 5 euro now they are down to 4 euro.
Salmon fillets have gone up also but not sure by how much but I know I paid a lot less than 3.80 few weeks ago.

in tesco's, it's cheaper to buy 2 6packs for coke than it is to buy a 12 pack...always used to be cheaper!!

and in iceland, they have the coke on "special offer", 10 cans reduced from €5 to €3.50 - strange that because they have always sold them for €4!!! still cheaper but not buy as much as they claim!

I saw the best "special offer" I've ever seen in Tesco at Roxboro, Limerick last weekend. Tesco Magnolia soap 4x125g bars had an advertised "Price Cut" from 99c to €1.29! I kid you not. I checked the price on a price checker and it was €1.29. Price cuts aren't what they used to be.....

Most of the shops give their price cuts on like that: was 5 now 3,50.....Infact the old price was 4 euro. Just to show the consumers that ''we'' have a big sale on. So that the consumers buy more. I have noticed that many times.

Tesco Jervis St have 70cl Jameson for €26.99 and 1 litre for €27.00

Tesco have increased prices on many items in the last one week. For example, they increased the price on Newyork bagels from 1.29€ to 1.49€ and they introduced bogof offer, and will keep the price at 1.49€ when the offer goes off. Tomatoes used to 1.98€ per kg but now its 2.09€.

The only thing that comes down in this country folks is the rain . ;)

Pringles have gone from €1.95 to €2.49!

The Euro Shop on Georges Street in Dublin across the street from Dunnes is selling 2 tubes of pringles for 3 euro. I just noticed it today. It beats everywhere else.

The Euro Shop on Georges Street in Dublin across the street from Dunnes is selling 2 tubes of pringles for 3 euro. I just noticed it today. It beats everywhere else.

No it doesnt...how about the bogof for pringles in Tesco?

My girlfriend was shopping as usual in Dunnes last night and noticed some price increases also.

They are all at it!

Back