Licensee in rent-a- room gave 2 days notice but wants deposit back

Plady80

Hi

I'm new to posting here but have seen some great advice so hoping someone can help.

I rented a room in my home to a foreign English-language student a couple of months ago. At the interview I told him he would need to commit to a min 6 Mth period and one month's notice which he agreed to. I didn't take a full month's rent from him as a deposit (my mistake).

He told me yesterday that his "circumstances have changed" and he's moving out tomorrow. This puts me in a really difficult position financially but I've accepted it...what can I do..

Anyway he's now asked for his deposit back! I explained that it's not going to happen - I haven't been given enough time to find a replacement, worst time of the year to find one etc etc. He said he thought the deposit was only in case of damages...

My question is, am I correct in believing I'm within my rights to withold the deposit even though it only covers 2/3 of his rent for the month?

Any advice would be much appreciated so thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Completely up to you. You are not tied to the Residential Tenancies Acts. If he agreed to 1 month's notice as one part of the agreement plus a minimum of 6 month's rental then he has broken 2 parts of the agreement so, in my opinion you are entitled to keep his deposit.

Back