Letting agent renewed a lease when they were supposed to give notice to vacate

Cymbeline

My brother and I inherited our parent's house in February when he turned 18. Tenants have been living there for the past few years. Their lease was up in January and the letting agent was instructed to give them 6 months notice to vacate (we still have the emails), since the brother was still 17 and he's doing his Leaving Cert now, plus we wanted to give them some more time to find a new place because you know yourself what the rental market in Dublin is like. Recently we contacted the agent again to confirm the exact date the tenants would be moving out so we could put the house on the market without the inconvenience of people living there, and she started talking about renewing the lease again. It turned out she hadn't given them notice and had renewed a 6 month lease instead. Now apparently we need to give them another 84 days notice.

Questions are:

Does the 84 day rule still apply when the latest lease will be up in the next few weeks?

Is it worth getting rid of the agent for such a short space of time? They made such a balls of this I'd really hate to give them more money.

What's the craic with selling a house/arranging viewings with people still living there? Do the same "24 hours notice before an inspection" rules apply?

It would be better to not show the house with tenants in it. Why are you in such a hurry. Another few months will surely not make such a difference? It is not worth it to change the estate agent now.

As this is a money forum, do you have any questions about what you are planning to do with the sale proceeds. Is it actually a wise decision to sell the house.

"As this is a money forum, do you have any questions about what you are planning to do with the sale proceeds. Is it actually a wise decision to sell the house."

I would argue that people can ask what they like here; there are multiple threads regarding this sort of thing. They need only ask what they like.

I agree probably better not to show the house with tenants in it, but they could be agreeable tenants and perhaps may be willing to allow this. I would keep the Agent, I agree re hating rewarding negligence/incompetence etc but is it worth the hassle really?

I just worry about 18 year olds not being sensible, that's all. Not saying they aren't but just in case. There does seem to be an unseemly haste after the 18th birthday.

I'm 22. My brother is 18 and he's already decided that he's putting his half in some sort of fixed term savings account for a few years so he doesn't blow it. I'll probably do something similar and then end up using it (or part of it) as a deposit towards my own house when I decide to buy one.

The plan has always been to sell it because neither of us want it. We don't want to live in it, we don't want to have to deal with other people living in it, we don't know what the tax implications of owning a rental property are, and to be honest we really don't get along so personally I rather get this all over with before it turns into a huge argument. It's not that we're in a hurry for money, I just don't want to have to deal with this any longer than I have to because I seem to be the only person who's trying to sort it out. No one is helpful and no one seems to know what's going on.

I think the general concensus of what's another month or two for the sake of it is the best option here. Notify the tenants your self and tell the agent to do so as well. Explain the situation nicely to the tenants as you don't want the hassle of them stalling. Who has the deposit ? If it's the agent tell them you want to inspect the property before returning the deposit but unless anything drastic is wrong in the house i would be glad to get shut of the tenants and the agent and have the place totally empty for the sale process.

I just don't want to have to deal with this any longer than I have to because I seem to be the only person who's trying to sort it out. No one is helpful and no one seems to know what's going on.

Thank you for the back ground, I find based on what I've read on here that it important to have context. You sound very sensible and so does your brother. Sometimes one comes in a certain order in a family and has to sort things out. In this case it's you and you seem to be doing a fine job and have very valid and logical reasons for selling the house. And your situation is most unfortunate at such a young age.

I am sorry that you feel there is nobody to help you. But you can reach out on here for financial advice. Selling the house sounds wise, the EA was unprofessional, send an email and insist in a reply that they are terminating the tenancy, if they don't reply you might have to threaten reporting them to their professional association, but hold off on this for now, it may not be necessary. Be polite but insistent in getting respect back.

Do you wish to have advice on what to do with the money, there are many sharks out there, and cleverly disguised ones at that, even bank staff are not to be trusted. There is a forum on here with the best places for deposits. You need to educate yourself on the financials so that's a good place to start.

If I can offer one piece of personal advice, don't let this period of your life affect your relationship with your brother, when you both are a bit older you may get on a bit better and no doubt you've come through a stressful situation, so best advice is to let things go. You do not know what is going through his head or how all this is affecting him.

( I wasn't much older than you when I became a landlady but it's not for the faint hearted)

Last edited:
Back