Lesson learned from dealing with Windowmaster

AndyH

Moderators,

I have read the Posting Guidelines and as far as I can see I can write about a specific company if my complaint is based on specific facts and not defamatory. Apologies if I am incorrect.

I feel I should post a warning or caveat to others potentially dealing or planning to deal with this UK based company.
They supply window control units used for electrically opening windows in hard to reach places or velux type windows.

To try out this technology, we bought a unit from them early in the build process on our last build. The first part gets installed into the window frame at manufacture time. The subsequent keypad part and control box gets installed at second fix by the electrician. Now due to delays and so on with the project, close to a year passed between these two stages.
When the electrician went to test the unit, it didn't work. Literally this keypad and control box essentially came out of the box and onto to the wall. There is no visible damage of any kind.

When we reported it initially, the company had the electrician try and few things to get it to work. Still to no avail. After some to'ing and fro'ing, they now do not want to know and will not replace the unit, without charging the full price again.
The reason they are distancing themselves from the issue is the convenience of their 1 year warranty. Now legally they are probably covered by this, but in terms of even common decency or standing over their product, this is an apalling stand.
In my opinion, I think it very easy for some (not all) projects to suffer delays and end up in a situation where a year passes between window manufacture and electrical 2nd fix.

We will follow a formal complaint route and also see where the legal route will bring us. The amount involved is small (€200) it is more the principle of the thing.

"Buyer Beware" is definitely the lesson learned here.

Back