Lehenaghamore, Cork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lehenaghamore, Cork: on the outskirts of the city next to the suburb of Togher

I lived in glasheen/the lough/wilton for 7 years, which all border togher and yes there are decent people there but alot of messers aswell

and I am afraid to have to agree that for some very decent people living there there are a lot of gougers living there too. Go there yourself is the best advice - have a pint in the local, spot the kids in the corner shop and see if its somewhere you would like to live and bring up your family.
Leghanamore may well be togher on a map but is the far side of the suburb and in effect on the outskirts of the city.

I have hung around Togher for many a year and I can tell you that there are gougers there just like there are in every other part of the city you can name. None of my friends or I would have any problem bringing our kids up in Togher, and we are all very decent people. I would question how much you really know about Togher. It is very easy to label a place but I think that it a very unintelligent and narrow minded thing to do. But each to to your own. I pity people who need to judge things to help them feel secure.

Re: Lehenaghamore, Cork: on the outskirts of the city next to the suburb of Togher

I lived in glasheen/the lough/wilton for 7 years, which all border togher and yes there are decent people there but alot of messers aswell

And there are no "messers" in Glasheen/the Lough/Wilton?? How about finally trying to find the courage to live in Togher before you judge the place.

I have hung around Togher for many a year and I can tell you that there are gougers there just like there are in every other part of the city you can name. .
There is not an identical quota of gougers in all areas unfortunately.
None of my friends or I would have any problem bringing our kids up in Togher, and we are all very decent people. .
I have no doubt there are decent people and I know a few of them(!) who warned me against buying there as they could not see their house prices rising as fast or to the heights of others in the city of similar characteristics, and they themselves were recommending other areas of the city to me when we were going to buy - now why would they lie or lead me astray?? about utopia?
I would question how much you really know about Togher. .
No need to - no i was not born and bred there however have lived in the city for 10 year both north and south of the Lee and worked with folks from all over including Togher
It is very easy to label a place but I think that it a very unintelligent and narrow minded thing to do. But each to to your own. I pity people who need to judge things to help them feel secure.
I often feel its quite very condescending to pity people but each to their own. please note I did not "label" any place as one thing or another - advising folks there are better or worse is not labeling something.

I have lived in Lehenaghamore for the past 4 years and have no complaints. If you don't have your own transport its not ideal as it is a good walk from the nearest bus stop. It very convenient for shopping as you have Tesco in Wilton, Dunnes in Bishopstown and SuperValu and Lidl in Togher.

and I am afraid to have to agree that for some very decent people living there there are a lot of gougers living there too. Go there yourself is the best advice - have a pint in the local, spot the kids in the corner shop and see if its somewhere you would like to live and bring up your family.
Leghanamore may well be togher on a map but is the far side of the suburb and in effect on the outskirts of the city.

Not labelling?? Hhmm!! Who are you trying to kid??

There is not an identical quota of gougers in all areas unfortunately. I have no doubt there are decent people and I know a few of them(!) who warned me against buying there as they could not see their house prices rising as fast or to the heights of others in the city of similar characteristics, and they themselves were recommending other areas of the city to me when we were going to buy - now why would they lie or lead me astray?? about utopia?

You are really showing yourself up here. Togher is quite expensive to buy in. Their private or council equivalent anywhere else in the city often either equal in price or a good bit cheaper. Check it out. Your "friends" are misinformed.

Not labelling?? Hhmm!! Who are you trying to kid??
Are you trying to prove you have a chip on your shoulder or what?

You are really showing yourself up here. Togher is quite expensive to buy in. Their private or council equivalent anywhere else in the city often either equal in price or a good bit cheaper. Check it out. Your "friends" are misinformed.
Ah so you are the authority on Togher - I shall defer to you in future...NOT.

Just to be pedantic here its in Lehanabeg rather than Lehanamore! The Other side of Matthew Hill! It is Technically in Togher Parish alright but Geographically i'm not so sure as its a bit of a trek over there! Its as near to Grange!

Had a look at these during the week and they are very nice houses in a nice area. matthew Hill has a good name and being from the Pouladuff area myself i must say its something i'd be seriously thinking about at the right price.
Has anyone taken the plunge here?

Does anyone seriously think they're being pitched at the right price? 570k for an 'executive' 4 bed detached? Get real! After a 50% reduction they might find some buyers

Does anyone seriously think they're being pitched at the right price? 570k for an 'executive' 4 bed detached? Get real! After a 50% reduction they might find some buyers

I'm getting the feeling that price is very negotiable. Theres only 8 houses left in the first phase and i notice people moving into the second phase already.

I'm certainly considering it. Its an option

Ah so you are the authority on Togher - I shall defer to you in future...NOT.

Not an authority, just not a snob. And as I said even you take your snobbish attitudes out of the discussion and look at it purely from a business point of view Togher is actually an expensive place to buy justifiably because it is seen on the whole as a good place to live for many reasons.

let it go JackB I find it only a little surprising that you persist in labeling me and decide to dismiss my friends who live in Togher and brought up family there as misinformed and in effect talking tosh - I mean if you are correct the place should speak for itself - which was the advice I have posted in the first place

Not an authority, just not a snob. And as I said even you take your snobbish attitudes out of the discussion and look at it purely from a business point of view Togher is actually an expensive place to buy justifiably because it is seen on the whole as a good place to live for many reasons.

I think you need to remove those rose coloured glasses you have on and face the facts: Togher is a disadvantaged area within cork city, with a high proportion of unemployment and anti-social behaviour compared to other suburbs. Nobody can determine where they are born and anyone i know who was born in togher and has done well for themselves, have moved out from togher to give there kids a better start in life....thats not being a snob, thats being a good parent and wanting the best for your kids. I think you should look at the chip on your shoulder!!!!!!! Do you actually live there now as from your post it seems you don't so saying that you would bring your kids up there and actually doing it are too different things...

Houses are not expensive to buy in togher, in todays climet, you'd be hard pressed to have a similar asking price for a 3 bed semi in togher to bishopstown/wilton/lough/douglas or any bordering area!!!!

Last edited:
I think you need to remove those rose coloured glasses you have on and face the facts: Togher is a disadvantaged area within cork city, with a high proportion of unemployment and anti-social behaviour compared to other suburbs. Nobody can determine where they are born and anyone i know who was born in togher and has done well for themselves, have moved out from togher to give there kids a better start in life....thats not being a snob, thats being a good parent and wanting the best for your kids. I think you should look at the chip on your shoulder!!!!!!! Do you actually live there now as from your post it seems you don't so saying that you would bring your kids up there and actually doing it are too different things...

Houses are not expensive to buy in togher, in todays climet, you'd be hard pressed to have a similar asking price for a 3 bed semi in togher to bishopstown/wilton/lough/douglas or any bordering area!!!!

I know where you live anyway. Cloud cuckoo land. What I was saying is that City Council houses in Togher are the most expensive of their type in Cork and the private houses in Togher hold their own pricewise against similar houses in any of those places you mentioned. Check below. And before you come back to me with your own comparisons remember to compare like with like.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct3&s[a_id]=356&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=400000&s[bd_no]=&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=389852

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct3&s[a_id][0]=127&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=355440

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct3&s[a_id]=352&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=400000&s[bd_no]=&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=325319

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct3&s[a_id]=3668&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=400000&s[bd_no]=&s[mnb]=&s[mxb]=&s[pt_id]=&s[house_type]=&s[sqmn]=&s[sqmx]=&s[mna]=&s[mxa]=&s[search_type]=sale&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=386541

You do get large groups of young people in their hoodies, hanging around the Centra by the Doughcloyne hotel, which does put me off stopping there. Quite a number of the estates (both public and private) have long since matured and is no worse than anywhere else. Lehenaghmore, while next to Togher, is a fair walk up the hill so as to seperate it. I'm in Glasheen/Wilton myself and we would have a fair amount of renters in our estates, due to the hospital, UCC and CIT. Prices have probably fallen but not like some of the other areas. If I was house hunting, I'd wait for another 6-12 months at least. There is plenty more fat to come off the builders profit !

You do get large groups of young people in their hoodies, hanging around the Centra by the Doughcloyne hotel, which does put me off stopping there. Quite a number of the estates (both public and private) have long since matured and is no worse than anywhere else. Lehenaghmore, while next to Togher, is a fair walk up the hill so as to seperate it. I'm in Glasheen/Wilton myself and we would have a fair amount of renters in our estates, due to the hospital, UCC and CIT. Prices have probably fallen but not like some of the other areas. If I was house hunting, I'd wait for another 6-12 months at least. There is plenty more fat to come off the builders profit !

Leghanamore is IN Togher, not NEXT to Togher. It is one of the parts of Togher closest to the church, the centre of the parish. Those lads in the hoodies hanging around there by the Doughcloyne hotel are from the private housing estates there and up the road in Leghanamore area of Togher. The majority of them are just normal smart assed teenagers like you would find in any other private area of the city. I think there is a strong trend in this tread of people being afraid of their own shadows and it is worrying. People must be watching to much TV and believing the hype.

Leghanamore is IN Togher, not NEXT to Togher. It is one of the parts of Togher closest to the church, the centre of the parish. Those lads in the hoodies hanging around there by the Doughcloyne hotel are from the private housing estates there and up the road in Leghanamore area of Togher. The majority of them are just normal smart assed teenagers like you would find in any other private area of the city. I think there is a strong trend in this tread of people being afraid of their own shadows and it is worrying. People must be watching to much TV and believing the hype.

I'm not determining where it is either way, but because it is up on a height, I'm saying it is quite seperate.

As for being afraid of my shadow, what other small shop in the area employs security ?

I have to agree with JB, The problems Togher once had are at a minimum now, its an area thats undergoing huge regeneration. And as for Leghanamore, its miles away from the centre of Togher and virtually in the country if thats all people are worried about!

Some people posting here have a very misinformed view on the area.

Its a pity a lot of this discussion has been ruined by snobbery. This is a money site and when it comes to money talking, judging by the house prices then Togher is a good place to live. And for those people who are worried that if they buy in Leghanamore that it will be labelled as Togher then the best advice is don't buy there. One part of Togher is not less Togher than another. Just like one part of an apple is not less apple than another. Leghanamore IS Togher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back