legal status as unmarried partners

P

panathon

Hi, a question on unmarried longterm couples

Say a couple who have been proved to have been together for 2 years in social welfares eyes and thus the male who has been unemployed is declared to have to be supported by the female and so receives no social welfare payments from the government.

Say the male gets a job now, can they be taxed as a couple and if so why not, the criteria has been accepted that they are, or is a marriage certificate necessary?

Thanks

I don't believe there are any circumstances where an unmarried couple can be taxed as a couple under current legislation. As for the 'why' question, we could spend weeks on that.

I think that there may be tentative plans to extend married taxation and other benefits to long term cohabiting couples (including same sex couples) but don't know the details or how advanced the plans are. Right now different state departments (e.g. Welfare and Revenue) may have different rules for the treatment of cohabiting couples but that's just the way it is...

Hello , Im getting married soon and my partner is on lone parent , half carrers allowance ,childrens allowance i work fulltime what way does it work after we get married does she lose all what she had ? she alos so suffers from Multiple Scelrosis is there any help or payments she can get if she loses her welfare payments . Thanks

She will have to surrender her one parent family payment. The carer's allowance will have to be reviewed as it is means tested. Child Benefit is not affected by the change in circumstances.

Your partner my be eligible for Disability Allowance - entitlement is based on medical criteria and a means test.

Back