Legal apprenticeship: any tips on trying to find a trainee solicitor job

I realise that a good number of people are committed to this particular path by now and can't pursue something else without abandoning a good deal of hard work, but those who can pull out at this point and won't; you're on a fool's errand.

LOL, yeah I'm off on my errand so - I'm not just gonna give it up when the going gets a bit tough :rolleyes:

I have been following this thread for a while as my sister and other half are both Solicitors. She did her apprenticeship in a very small firm and he did his in one of the big 5. She is now doing well and luckilly is in Employment law so very busy while he was involved in construction which is not so rosey.
Just a word of warning though 3 of her friends have been let go in the last few months!!

This is soooooooooo depressin!!!

I'm seriously thinking of a new career!!!!

Anyone else with me???

I hear that that accountancy firms look for Law graduates. Thinking of applying there and seeing if I get anything at all, especially in Tax.

Otherwise I may join the circus, if they'll have me of course, I believe times are tight for the Circus industry as well.:)

My friend recently did her FE1s again and failed.Shes now 26 and is feeling VERY disheartened by the entire process. She feels that all her study/ work experience/ and Masters were absolutely useless. She is now contemplating returning to college and studying dentistry.

This sort of thing puzzles me. Do people just pick the career where they think they will earn the most money?

This sort of thing puzzles me. Do people just pick the career where they think they will earn the most money?

I would speculate that the girl in question, at the age of 26 has probably given a good 8 years towards qualifying as a solicitor. At this stage, I'm sure she's just picking the career where job prospects are relatively certain. I imagine, europhile, that you're feigning puzzlement in an attempt to be snide.

"Bemused" might have been a better choice.

Can I ask Europhile what profession exactly are you in? you seem to have an abundance of free time (with over 730 posts) to criticise other peoples comments when perhaps they are just seeking advise rather than the negativity that is present in the majority of your replies.

Hi all...a bit of suspected divine intervention sees me starting an apprenticeship in 2009...a good sized firm and they are only taking me on...I'm giving up a recession proof job to embark on this so am slightly queasy about it (16K?!?) but after all the hard work and determination I don't want to balk in fear now...my only advice for the applications and interviews would be to just dare to be yourself...they might be looking for a "fit" but so are you and remember that...and its so well worn but its true - if its meant for you it won't pass you by...I have to keep reminding myself I've created the stressful crossroads I'm at (there's a definite cogent argument for career suicide) but for better or worse here goes!...

LOL, yeah I'm off on my errand so - I'm not just gonna give it up when the going gets a bit tough :rolleyes:

you'd swear you were on a quest for the holy grail (or the crystal skull) or something, and not a career path to become a leech....sorry, only kidding (a bit anyway).

And funnily enough she has picked another career where she will earn the most money. And another closed shop...

you'd swear you were on a quest for the holy grail (or the crystal skull) or something, and not a career path to become a leech....sorry, only kidding (a bit anyway).
Joke or no joke, i struggle to understand why on earth you would spend time on this thread if you're not interested in pursuing a career as what you seem to describe as a "leech". If you ARE interested in pursuing a career as a solicitor, then I suggest you change your attitude.
You must understand that there are people on this thread who genuinely wish to practice law out of interest, challenge and maybe even passion. A lot of these people are struggling to push forward with their career because of the lack of training contracts being offered in the current climate, and then you come along and refer to their chosen and well respected profession as being that of a "leech". That is rude and ignorant my friend.

refer to their chosen and well respected profession as being that of a "leech". That is rude and ignorant my friend.

Spoken like a true student. Being a solicitor is not a well respected profession anymore, imo. The best you can hope for is to be respected for the work you do as a professional, and not simply because you are a member of a profession.

Spoken like a true student. Being a solicitor is not a well respected profession anymore, imo. The best you can hope for is to be respected for the work you do as a professional, and not simply because you are a member of a profession.
Works for me either way.

Joke or no joke, i struggle to understand why on earth you would spend time on this thread if you're not interested in pursuing a career as what you seem to describe as a "leech". If you ARE interested in pursuing a career as a solicitor, then I suggest you change your attitude.
You must understand that there are people on this thread who genuinely wish to practice law out of interest, challenge and maybe even passion. A lot of these people are struggling to push forward with their career because of the lack of training contracts being offered in the current climate, and then you come along and refer to their chosen and well respected profession as being that of a "leech". That is rude and ignorant my friend.

My apologies, no offence intended, I was referring to these chaps: http://www.leech.co.uk/

just wondering has anyone had an interview with maples and calder. I heard that their interview technique is really different to all the others, so would love some tips....

Can I ask Europhile what profession exactly are you in? you seem to have an abundance of free time (with over 730 posts) to criticise other peoples comments when perhaps they are just seeking advise rather than the negativity that is present in the majority of your replies.

Estate agent.

Your sarcasm detector may need to be recalibrated.

Not really. You spend your time criticising others comments when you have created such fascinating threads as "the difference between andrews liver salts and alka seltzer" and "where is the best place to get your shoe reheeled".

Back